RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
CB1

Ambient Temperature Sensor replacement

CB1

Hi, 

My temperature sensor has failed which causes critical system error.

I have 2 questions:-

• Is there any harm in simply unplugging the sensor?
  • Where can I get a replacement sensor without being gouged by HP?

Thanks,

CB

Trig0r

Not sure where you are based, but I can see them on Amazon, not cheap though, part number 725205-001, unplugging it will generally cause an issue though as the system cant see it, so you'll probably still get a critical system error.

Yots

Unfortunately I have the same problem with mine too at just over 3 years old...  Still waiting for my HP to advise where I can get the sensor.  Remember seeing a post that talks about firmware upgrade, so hunting this site for the link to the iLO firmware so I can upgrade it and see if it maybe a soft error.

PS. CB1 re-using your post so I dont start another one with the same questions.

PPS. CB1 just incase the firmware upgrade may fix your issue too.

CB1

I tried without the sensor cable plugged in and all that happens is that the ambient temperature shows -1C. I don't think that there are any adverse affects, apart from the fact that the fan speed calculation may be impacted. If you need a link to the firmware, send me a location and I will post the file. 

CB1

Thought I would add my solution here in case anyone has a similar problem.

I cut off the transistor at the end of the sensor cable and soldered on a new one - 10 minutes work with a 50c part.

It now works perfectly, with the ambient temperature showing correctly.

The part is 2N3904 3904 40V - 200mA NPN General Purpose Transistor TO-92

Got 5 of these for $3.45 delivered

kebot

@CB1

I think I've broken the Sensor Cable when I trying to unplug the sensor cable(to upgrade the CPU), now the status page in iLO look like this, I can not boot anymore,

image.thumb.png.5a86793b8a1862cbb61b7e44393e4b7f.png

image.thumb.png.5531905ab22342aad9339a912a213adb.png

Not sure it's related to temp sensor or the replaced CPU, but I tried to replace the CPU back, still the same problem. 

CB1

Are you talking about the ambient sensor cable? If you unplug it you should just get the 01-Inlet Ambient being -1C and it should not affect anything else and should boot normally. I would update to the latest BIOS and see what happens. Also make sure that the memory is seated properly. What does the IML (logs) say?

kebot

@CB1

Thanks for your information, IML logs is empty(no information), also try to remove and replug memories and other parts.

Now I can confirm I may break the CPU socket in the motherboard when I trying to replace the CPU.