RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 120, What do you think ?

diehard

Hi Guys,

I'm back.

I took a break last week to let the guys talk about CES2011. Thanks to Chris Lux for stepping in for me. There was a lot to cover, it was almost 2 hrs long. :blink:

This week the news was light again, we didn't hear from Microsoft on a WHS Vail update build at CES and are anxiously waiting for a new release. Well, maybe you are, I'm not to happy about loosing Drive Extender and will continue to give my support for version 1. Although, as a WHS MVP, I'll have to kick myself to try it out so I can help you guys that are interested.

We went to basics in this episode with AJ returning and talking about his Backup post on the blog. I enjoyed it. I encourage you to do as JMWills suggested and swap out your PC hard drive and to do a PC Recovery to a test drive, this way you can get comfortable if there is a future need to recover your PC. :)

Thanks ITTOG, it was fun doing this week's podcast. I got all tongue twisted with Alex Edney and Andrew Kutetz. :blink:

Thanks for that. I have a thread about future topics so if you liked this one and have more ideas just let us know.

I enjoyed it and it was fun to watch Jim and John on Skype video while recording. It's also nice to have you guys on the show. Don't hesitate to contact me with ideas that you might want to talk about! It's a community podcast after all!

Dave

Thanks for that. I have a thread about future topics so if you liked this one and have more ideas just let us know.

I enjoyed it and it was fun to watch Jim and John on Skype video while recording. It's also nice to have you guys on the show. Don't hesitate to contact me with ideas that you might want to talk about! It's a community podcast after all!

Dave

Thought the thread on B.Y.O.B. about networking was interesting but I have to think its a far more appropriate topic for Home Server as we are the guys reliant on our networks.

Networking is still to some extent a black art and I think everyone could glean a tip or two from that subject.

It also occurs to me that we are gaining new members all the time, so these back to basics topics will be of some help to them.

Hey guys, great podcast. I'm new to WHS but I've been using Crashplan for a few years so it was great to hear you guys talk about it as well as general WHS backups. It got me thinking about my current backup strategy. I run mostly mac and linux machines in my house (though I do have WHS!) and I use crashplan to backup data on those machines to WHS as well as to some offsite friends. Even if WHS gave me the option to do "bare metal" backups for my mac and linux workstations, I'm not sure that I would. My reasoning is this: In the roughly 20 years that I've been a computer nerd, I could probably count on 1 hand the number of times I've had a hard drive truly die. So if for some reason the hard drives craps out on my macbook or windows laptop, I would view that as an opportunity to reinstall the OS and start from a clean slate. (get rid of the years of cruft, etc) Of course I would then use crashplan to get back all of my important files and data.

Am I crazy to do that? Is there really much to be gained by a bare-metal backup other than the time saved to reinstall everything? (again, if this happened frequently to me then I'd be singing a different tune..)

Several ways to look at it in my opinion. After any new install with a Windows 7 machine, I use the built-in imaging software to create that "pristine image" that is immediately copied to some sort of offline media. It takes roughly 15 minutes to restore and I do not have to worry about how many licenses I've used for the OS or such items as Office, etc.

To me that is just easier but I see your side of the story as Mac's and Linux based machine do not have to worry about the licensing issues.

To me that is just easier but I see your side of the story as Mac's and Linux based machine do not have to worry about the licensing issues.

Or driver installation issues... :) (at least on mac's) I like that idea though, makes sense. I do plan on building a windows 7 gaming PC in the near future so maybe I'll do that - install the OS, drivers, run defrag and then save an image. Any tool(s) you recommend for imaging the hard drive?