RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
revengineer

Problems deleting client from dashboard

revengineer

Long time no post, but now I have an OCD issue...

I am not sure anyone still uses Windows Server 2012 Essentials, but the solution may be similar in newer editions. A while ago, I removed a client from the domain via the essentials dashboard. I kept the backups so the computer was then listed as "removed" under archived computers. I then suffered an issue with the backup database and repair of the database resulted in all backups being lost. The problem was so bad that I deleted the Client Backup Folder and started fresh. I then tried the following:

1. remove the removed client from the dashboard, but it will not work through the interface. There is no error message whatsoever.

2. I used get-wsscomputer and remove-wsscomputer from the command line but this did not work either. Again, no error message, it just does not work.

3. I tried manually editing the file DevicesInfo.xml in the Programdata folder structure. However, after restarting the dashboard, the computer that I manually deleted from the xml file is back again in the dashboard and in the file.

So I am at a loss, and if someone has a hint where this info is stored, I will take it to satisfy my OCD.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

nrf

can you restore your client backups from the server backup as a way of fixing the backup database?

in my experience any computers that are found in the client backup db show up only in the archived part of the UI and depending on how many times you had to futz with re-installing the os you may get multiple instances of an old one up there.

Edited by nrf

revengineer
1 minute ago, nrf said:

can you restore your client backups from the server backup as a way of fixing the backup database?

Unfortunately not. The database was too massive to be included in the server backup. So the database is really gone.

Edit Bear

I have the same problem with WHS 2011.

I archived a client computer, then removed it from the dashboard.

Since then, I have deleted all my client computer backups (for other reasons).

Now I cannot get rid of the ghost computer listed under "archived computer backups".

I have re-installed windows on that client and given it a new name, so I cannot relink it to the dashboard.

When I right click on the archived computer and select remove, I get no error message - it just doesnt go!

I have searched the registry for the computer name but it only comes up under DNLA media sharing.

Where is that old name stored in WHS 2011? How can I remove it from the dashoard?

It still shows even when the client computer backup directory is empty?

Edited by Edit Bear

revengineer

Nobody seemed to know when I asked this questions a year ago. I never figured this out, overcame my OCD issue with this, and lived with the problem until I dumped my Windows 2012 Essentials server with FreeNAS. Never looked back.