RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 70 topic of using usb thumbdrive to do a whs recovery on a ex490. How?

nippyjun

It was mentioned a method to use a usb thumbdrive in an hp ex490 to do a recovery. I'm interested in some more information on how to do this. Could this topic be a blog post or forum post.

Thanks.

Hi nippyjun,

Thanks for the interest, Dave also emailed me your comment.

I'll take advantage of the success of this forum to help me produce a good article for the blog.

This is a work in progress, I mentioned to Dave that I was trying to get this to work. So far I have a draft copy set up at http://homeservershow.com/how-to-create-an-external-bootable-usb-server-recovery-thumb-drive-for-a-simpler-server-recovery-of-your-ex4905.html

This requires that you have access to the EX470/5 and EX 490/5 Server Recovery DVD's. As noted in the post, if you want to give this a try, remove all your drives from your EX490/5 and test it on a spare system drive. Just in case I missed something.

Please post your results here to help me and everyone else out.

John (homeservershow).

• 2 weeks later...

John,

Just a thought, Although HP makes a great unit, as you do allot of modifications on your HP severs why do you not just stick with homebuilt hardware. Then you could modify to your hearts content a heck of allot easier. Buying an HP is like buying a toaster, plug it in and forget it. Just my two cents.

Hi Mike,

Your right buddy. If I let myself go, I would loose control. The paychecks would be flying. I'd be like a mad hacker and forget to sleep, work and eat. Children, what children.

Over the past 5 years or so I've shifted over to Shuttle PC's. Must be for a different perspective of small and powerful. I had big boxes in the past. Now I try and shoe horn stuff into tiny boxes.

Thanks,

PS, I love your rigs and setup. Maybe in the future when things cool down from CES info, would you like to be on the show to talk about your setup ? Remind me again in 1 month so I don't forget I asked.

John (homeservershow).

John,
That would be awesome and it would be an honor for me. Would love a chance to talk about things I am passionate about. And for the record, (at least what you can tell your family) there are much worse additctions than technology. Don't ever stop learning and my deepest thanks for the invite. You will hear from me in a month.

Mike

Guest no-control

"And for the record, (at least what you can tell your family) there are much worse additctions than technology."

Yes if anyones wife ever gives them flack for the "Computer Bill" hit me up and I'll send over my yearly Racing addiction statements. Makes heroin addiction look like a vauge yearning for something salty.

Yeah mine is paintball. I have enough equipment for 6 people to play. It is out of control and I need to start selling some.