RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

WD 4TB Red Service Time in my DrivePool

Joe_Miner

The first WD 4TB Red I installed in my WHS2011 DrivePool on January 30, 2014 is going to be retired.  DrivePool was sending me Smart Warnings via email regarding excessive head parkings.  I yanked it out and replaced with a WD 6TB Red.  

Got 5+ years out of the WD 4TB Red so that's not bad!  My very first WD 3TB RED is still going strong in my DrivePool -- it's got to be pushing 6+ years now.

Currently, my DrivePool is made of 6 drives, all Reds: 1 3TB, 4 4TB, and now the single 6TB.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• dittohead
      By dittohead
      Using lsi 9211-4i with two WD red 4tb
      I did not pay attention before, but copy from HDD to HDD is really slow, about 30-35MB/s, 40MB/s at top.

FreeNAS 11 stable with last updates
      Ram 12 gb, and free about 4 gb
      ZFS without encryption
      LSI 9211 in IT mode, firmware 7.39.00.00 (P19), bios p20
      What Im doing wrong?

P.S.B120i not trying yet

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      I wanted to see how well the EZConvert (by Icy Dock) would work in the Gen10 so I removed two 3.5" drives from the main Cage and loaded to WD Red's 2.5" drives in EZConverts and loaded them into the Gen10 MicroServer.  Everything lined up and it was an easy changeout!

Shortly after this I installed MS Office 365 onto the Gen10 and loaded some of my really big spreadsheets -- I thought the response was good and the graphics display of Excel generated graphs was great!  IMO.

• james09
      By james09
      I need to replace a hard drive in my WHS 2011 box.  I was wondering if anyone had experience with using the solid state hybrid drive with StableBit DrivePool and Scanner.  Since it is a hybrid ssd, does the ssd optimizer work with it?
    • james09
      By james09
      I am replacing the C drive on WHS 2011 with an SSD.  I am in the process of installing everything from scratch due to stupidity.  When I went to the SableBit website to reinstall Scanner and Drivepool, I was surprised to see the DrivePool plug-ins.  I would like to know how the experts feel about these additions.  

SSD Optimizer:  I have read that the flash portion of an SSD drive has a limited number of transactions after which it will begin to fail.  While the number of transactions before failure is admittedly quite large, would the ssd optimizer speed up the SSD disk's failure?  Or, is the transaction rate before failure so high that it really does not matter?

Order File Placement:  Is order file placement where one disk is filled at a time, the best way to go?  Or, is the default where all of the disks are filled equally the best?  Or rather than spinning all of the disks all of the time, is it better to start with a couple of disks in the default mode and add a disk when you need it.  Thus, saving wear and energy?

Disk Space Equalizer:  I must confess that I do not really see much of a difference between equalizing by free space remaining, equalizing by percent used space and the default method of equalizing by placing new files onto the disk with the most free space.  And, I am open to being shown why one method should be preferred over the other.

Perhaps it would be good to add that I am interested in adding the Office Maven add-ins for Quicken and Office, and utilizing them to minimize memory usage on a couple of Surface Pro 4's.  Also due to starting over, I was able to expand the C:\ partition from 60 to 210 with the use of the free version of Partition Magic Server Software.  So, I am in a unique position with regard to room on the OS partition if that matters.    

• brennok
      By brennok
      I find myself at a fork in the road and unsure how I should proceed.

My current setup is 2 Synology 1812+ filled with 3TB Reds, both SHR2, and one DX513, SHR1, filled with 3x2TB and 2x3TB Reds. Prior to this I was running the HP Ex485 and after that a Norco build running WHS V1. With the dropping of Drive Extender and end of WHS I switched to a NAS. As I upgrade the Synology when storage gets tight, I end up with unused drives. This is how I ended up with the DX513 and then the second Synology 1812+. As it is now I have a mix of five 1 and 2TB WD Reds sitting unused in their boxes on a shelf, and storage is getting low again. 

My old Win 7 build running the old i7-860 is serving as a Plex server and getting long in the tooth since I now find I have 3-4 streams at once rather than 1. As a result I am now looking to build a new Plex Server.

I figure I have 2-3 options.

1. Build a new Plex Server and buy a Synology 1815+ or 1816+  I plan on waiting for DSM 6.0 before buying the Synology.

2. Build a new Plex Server and opt for a case that holds 8+ drives. I would then run DrivePool and SnapRAID to take advantage of the older drives since it sounds like DrivePool can do what I want. 

3. Build a new Plex Server in the old Norco 4020 case.

My biggest concern with option 3 is since it is old case hardware which hasn't been used in a few years. I only filled it halfway when I used it before before WHS went away so I don't even know if all the drive bays work. I did upgrade it so that I have the 120mm fan wall a community user on one of the WHS forums machined and sold, but I would need to probably replace the fans at this point. I would probably need to replace the AOC-SASLP-MV8 since it is the old card and may not even support 3TB drives or larger. The rest of the internals like the CPU, mobo, memory, and PSU would be a new build.

I also wonder if I could do a combination of option 2 and 3. Build a new Plex server in a case with plenty of space for drives. Then when I max the case out, expand into the Norco. I could leave the old PC components in there so the PSU powers on without having to mod the PSU and also use the existing mobo with old CPU to power any cards I need for the case. I don't know what it would cost to do this though and what other issues I would have to address.

Option 1 and option 2 combined might also not be a bad idea, but feels more like a band-aid. Build a new Plex server again in a case with preferably 8+ drive slots. Then when the case gets full pick up the latest Synology 8+ bay case assuming they still seem to be the best NAS option at the time. Of course once the Synology and Plex server are full, I run into the same issue I have now. Good drives being unused and nowhere to put them.

Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.