RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
EllZ89

can no longer connect to iLo from external?

EllZ89
Posted (edited)

Hi All,

Ive got an HP Gen8 Microserver and have been connecting externally through the iLO to turn my server on happily until about 6 months ago (but have only just got round to enquiring about this now).

im running on iLO 4 FW 2.61 and I have got all of the relevant ports forwarded correctly as it just stopped working all of a sudden around that time. When I browse to my external IP I can see my browser attempting to perform a "TLS Handshake" and then it states my statically mapped IP of my ILO so i know the port forwarding is working correctly, but its almost like the iLO is no longer accepting external connections. I can connect perfectly fine from internal, like when using the iLO app on my phone or browsing to the iLO page from a machine on my home network.

ive been through every page and cant see anything obvious that I would be able to turn on/off to get this working but no luck so far.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks.

Edited by EllZ89

sorted

- Are you using the dedicated NIC or the shared one?

- What does the ILO Event log say when you try to connect externaly?

- DId you check the IP stack of the ILO? Is the gateway IP missing perhaps? I.e. does ILO know how to route to the internet?

EllZ89
On 3/28/2019 at 10:04 PM, sorted said:

- Are you using the dedicated NIC or the shared one?

- What does the ILO Event log say when you try to connect externaly?

- DId you check the IP stack of the ILO? Is the gateway IP missing perhaps? I.e. does ILO know how to route to the internet?

Its connected via the dedicated iLO NIC.

An entry in the event log when i try connecting externally shows:

Browser logout: {my ILO username}  - {my IP that im trying to reach from - my mobile provider} (DNS name not found).

its got a reservation on my router and is set to automatically get its IP, and it does have the correct gateway.

sorted
Posted (edited)

New ILO 4 firmware 2.62 is out (2 Apr 2019). You might want to give that a try, you never know.

• Fix: Resolved an issue where iLO could intermittently cause adapters to lose configuration after updating adapters to newer firmware.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5390291&swItemId=MTX_0605845b94a948e19846dd4301&swEnvOid=4184

Edited by sorted

EllZ89
1 hour ago, sorted said:

New ILO 4 firmware 2.62 is out (2 Apr 2019). You might want to give that a try, you never know.

• Fix: Resolved an issue where iLO could intermittently cause adapters to lose configuration after updating adapters to newer firmware.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5390291&swItemId=MTX_0605845b94a948e19846dd4301&swEnvOid=4184

no luck unfortunately. same issue even after the update.

interestingly though, there is mention of an ILO 4 2.70 firmware here, but i cant seem to find any download links for it. https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03334036

schoondoggy

Looks like iLo4 2.70 firmware has not been released yet.

sorted
Posted (edited)

Maybe it has to do with SSL/TLS settings  Depending on the browser (not in ILO) your using , you might want the fiddle with the TLS/SSLsettings in the browser. I can't reproduce the issue myself because I use a vpn to access ILO remotely, which I recommend btw.

BTW: I use this site to see for updated ILO firmware. He's pretty quick with updates.

https://pingtool.org/latest-hp-ilo-firmwares/

Edited by sorted

EllZ89

This even happens on the ILO app though, which you can’t configure SSL/TLS for?

thanks for the link btw, that will come in handy.