RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
nrf

looking beyond essentials

nrf

Seeing what is in server 2019, (and what is not) I don't see it as my  next solution as someday 2016 will come off support. Right now I can see from the essentials dashboard that all my windows pcs have been backed up and have their patches. If one of the PCs gets taken over by a drive-by that survives reboot I can stick in a usb stick and refresh it from last nights backup. All reasonably well integrated. The pcs get notifications that backup did or did not happen, files can be recovered reasonably quickly etc.

Server 2019 seems to continue MS's drive to the cloud. I prefer my un-cloud. I am also open the idea that some but not all of my clients PCs will move to Linux over time. This of course would break the model for essentials.

I have seen some good free offerings here for backup abilities, and lots of talk about NAS based systems. Is it possible to cob together apps on Unraid, for example, to provide a similar integrated environment?

Trig0r

Yeah I'm not too sold on 2019 as a 2016 replacement either, still we've got a few years before it goes EOL or beyond extended support, something else might come out before then, or there might be something 2019 based by that time.. 

Jason

Unfortunately, I’m still on WSE12R2. Not even 2016 essentials. Tried the in-place upgrade option and while it worked better than I expected, it broke numerous things I rely on like VPN and directaccess. Likely since the certificates and remote access configuration don’t upgrade correctly.

Not sure there’s much benefit of 2016 over 2012R2 so I’ve not pursued a clean install of 2016.

nrf
Posted (edited)

in my case there was no money involved so I dove in and re-did the whole server. I found server 2016 to be better polished and more stable. ymmv

Edited by nrf

Trig0r

Thats a good find, wonder what the chances of an update breaking it in the future though, or more likely the connector going south, I'd image that'd probably be the most common break..

nrf
Posted (edited)

Seems very logical/well thought out. Maybe someone else will provide some automation for it. But I don't see any of the copied-over modules ever getting any patches/updates ever. Reminds me of the time people came up with a way to put windows media center on a newer os...

Edited by nrf

Trig0r

There is an msi file on that website, but for customers only by the looks of it..

Jason
There is an msi file on that website, but for customers only by the looks of it..

That 2019 hack gives me anxiety yet seems quite detailed. The MSI is probably worth it.

Meanwhile, I may consider a WSE2016 in place upgrade again. Didn’t spent much time with it last time. Just immediately reverted to restoring my server backup after VPN was broken.

mattb75

Saw the msi file link as well but to be fair the guys’ step by step instructions look pretty comprehensive.

I may fire up a VM on my current WSEE server and see how it all works out but I’m in no rush to move from 2016 to 2019 at the moment