RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Time to RAM it!

GDog

As some of you may or may not remember, I have had all sorts of issues with my build, mostly relating to Drive issues - bad blocks, failures etc. I've actually had a lot of other issues also. Here's a list of the System Errors from my Event Log just since Jan 1, 2011. I tried to just give you an UNIQUE example of each error I was getting. EACH of these errors have been repeated MANY times, some HUNDREDS of times. Here's the List:

--The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

--The device 'ST350032 0AS SCSI Disk Device' (SCSI\Disk&Ven_ST350032&Prod_0AS&Rev_SD15\5&7d047fc&0&020000) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

--Timed out sending notification of target device change to window of "LDM Service"

--The device 'WDC WD40 00AAKS-00TMA0 SCSI Disk Device' (SCSI\Disk&Ven_WDC_WD40&Prod_00AAKS-00TMA0&Rev_12.0\5&7d047fc&0&020000) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

--The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort4, did not respond within the timeout period.

--A fatal error occurred when attempting to access the SSL server credential private key. The error code returned from the cryptographic module is 0x6.

--The device, \Device\Harddisk0, has a bad block.

--The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort2, did not respond within the timeout period.

--The shadow copies of volume C:\fs\13 were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:\fs\13.

--The device, \Device\Harddisk5, has a bad block.

--The redirector failed to determine the connection type.

--The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

--The UPS service is not configured correctly.

--The device 'WDC WD20 EADS-00R6B0 SCSI Disk Device' (SCSI\Disk&Ven_WDC_WD20&Prod_EADS-00R6B0&Rev_01.0\5&38dddce3&0&010100) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

--The time service has not synchronized the system time for 86400 seconds because none of the time service providers provided a usable time stamp. The time service is no longer synchronized and cannot provide the time to other clients or update the system clock. Monitor the system events displayed in the Event Viewer to make sure that a more serious problem does not exist.

--The shadow copies of volume C:\fs\13 were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:\fs\13.

--The device, \Device\Harddisk5, has a bad block.

--The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort3, did not respond within the timeout period.

--The device, \Device\Scsi\SI31121, did not respond within the timeout period.

--The device 'Disk drive' (IDE\DiskWDC_WD20EADS-00R6B0_____________________01.00A01\5&2c58517e&0&0.1.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

--The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2.

--The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort3, did not respond within the timeout period.

Whew! My System Event viewer usually looked like a Sea of Red & Yellow signage.

Anyway, I mostly just wanted to share with the Forum what I THINK may have been the problem all along. I have been looking in all the wrong places. Two days ago, I decided that maybe my system could use some more memory, so I pulled out the 2 sticks of 2GB RAM sticks I had waiting in the cabinet and swapped out the 2 x 1GB sticks of RAM in the box. Well, after 2-days, I have not had a single error of ANY kind. Now I realize it's only been 2 days and I need to test this a LOT longer than that, but this is the most encouraging thing I have had in a very long time for sure. Normally, in any 2-day period, I would have had at LEAST 15-20 Errors and/or Warnings, and there have been times when it was over 50. Bad RAM, what do you know. Who would have thought? Usually, bad RAM just manifests as BSOD's. Whatever.

Well, I will watch this for a couple more weeks and let everyone know how it's doing and whether my hunch is correct, but it's looking like my problems have been just bad or incompatible memory.

Stay Tuned ...

GDog

I am having a similarly weird issue in my flaky computer post. NO BSOD, just hanging apps.

Went from IDE to AHCI and it didn't help. Switched RAM around, running 4GB instead of 8GB now,

and things still hang. If the wife doesn't kill me in the future may be looking for

a Sandy Bridge build and no more gigabyte boards?

I am having a similarly weird issue in my flaky computer post. NO BSOD, just hanging apps.

Went from IDE to AHCI and it didn't help. Switched RAM around, running 4GB instead of 8GB now,

and things still hang. If the wife doesn't kill me in the future may be looking for

a Sandy Bridge build and no more gigabyte boards?

Why were you running so much RAM before, Analog? WHS v1 is a 32-Bit OS, right? Or are you running v2? Just curious.

BTW: Did you just remove ONE of your two 4GB sticks? If so, you may STILL have a RAM problem. What I did was to remove BOTH my 1GB sticks and replace them with a completely different Brand as well as being more of it.

AND ... Almost another day has gone by and still no System Errors. Yes!

Edited by GDog

Guess I need to clarify. It's my Win7 Ultimate install that is behaving badly.

My gigabyte board apparently has some issues with the 3rd and 4th slot failing.

Trying it with 2GB on each of the 1st 2 slots, leaving the 3rd/4th empty for now

to see if that helps.

Just finished building a new v1 box tonight. Hope to goodness it does better

than the win7 install.

It looks like you have solved your problem.

When I see "scsi" in error reports, I think ahci mode. Some motherboards will detect sata drives as scsi when the bios is set to ahci, and I first thought that maybe you were trying to run WHS v1 in ahci mode.

Guess I need to clarify. It's my Win7 Ultimate install that is behaving badly.

My gigabyte board apparently has some issues with the 3rd and 4th slot failing.

Trying it with 2GB on each of the 1st 2 slots, leaving the 3rd/4th empty for now

to see if that helps.

Just finished building a new v1 box tonight. Hope to goodness it does better

than the win7 install.

Like to help with this issue as I do not think it is the board. Having built more than 50 system recently with Gigabyte, this is very unusual. Certainly not impossible but unusual. For starteres, some ground rules for Ix series boards which you may already know but just to clarify. This applies to most MFG as it is a funciton of the memory controller in the CPU. First, if you are running two sticks, they have to be a matched set and should be in slots 1 and 3. If you are running 4 sticks, they should also be a matched set of 4 or if using two matched sets of two have to slowed one notch. Also, depending of the memory you bought, you may have to adjust the voltage in order for it to be recognized. Another words, if your RAM is rated at 1.6V, you will have to manually increase the DIMM voltage to 1.6 as the controller default is 1.5V. This is supposed to be addressed in the XMP profile but running the XMP profile with 4 sticks usually does not work well and some cheaper RAM does not support XMP profile. Also, as Gigabyte is one of the best for releasing BIOS updates, make sure you are running the most current BIOS. Most 1156 boards are on F9 so check your BIOS. Also, if you could provide more detail on model number,Part number of RAM, and the exact issue we might be able to narrow it down. I can tell you from first hand experience that DDR3 on any Core Ix is tempermental and has to be just right. I have gone through many gyrations with DDR3 that I am pretty picky on what I buy for that reason.

Let me know if we can help. Love to see you get that system running right.

It looks like you have solved your problem.

When I see "scsi" in error reports, I think ahci mode. Some motherboards will detect sata drives as scsi when the bios is set to ahci, and I first thought that maybe you were trying to run WHS v1 in ahci mode.

Those SCSI reports are stemming I think from the fact that WHS shows any drive connected to one of my PCI or PCI-e SATA expansion cards as a "SCSI Disk Device". I don't know why it is showing them that way, but I have 3 different cards on my system board, all Silicon Image chipped, a SiI 3512, a 3114, and a 3112. The 3112 is the PCI-e card which is acting as an eSATA Host card to an external multi-drive box. I've never been able to see why this is showing this because I have no SCSI devices in my system at all.

ERROR UPDATE: I got my first System error - but only ONE. A Bad Block error on Drive 0. This is a little disturbing as I have been watching this drive very closely since installing Home Server SMART which has reported multiple errors for this drive and has advised me to actually replace it. I was holding off doing that since the RAM exchange however to see if possibly THAT advice was erroneous itself. Now I don't know if I should go ahead or not. WHS Server Storage and Disk Management Add-In both report the drive as Healthy. I am still a little hesitant anyway due to the fact that I could never get Home Server SMART to read all my HDD's without hanging and throwing up an error message itself. Anyone here have any direct experience with this Add-In?

GDog

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Per my prior posts, my RAM was changed out on Jan 16, 2011. I am happy to report that I have had absolutely NO problems at all save for a lone Bad Block Error Drive 0 back on Jan 19. Wow! This is great. I swear it's like I have a completely new Server. Virtually ALL my problems have just vanished.

Since my last post, I have done a little digging to sort of substantiate my assertion that the RAM has been the problem all along. Well, I'm certainly no hardware engineer, but it seems that my SuperMicro C2SBC-Q MOBO calls for 1.8v RAM --- ONLY. AND, it seems that the RAM I was using before, the "High Performance" OCZ Gold Series PC2 5400 sticks need to run at 1.9v. The label on the sticks was cut off just where the voltage would have been printed, so all I could see was "1." - nothing more. Well, I no longer had the package for these sticks, but I should have been more careful than just ASSUMING this RAM would run correctly at 1.8v, because it obviously does NOT. What thoroughly surprises me in all this however, was the plethora of DIFFERENT errors it caused. Wouldn't you think that if the RAM was not receiving the correct voltage that it would just hang the PC, blue screen it or refuse to boot?

There's a lesson here for all of us - pay attention and HEED the specs. They are there for a reason. I was too sloppy and it cost me a TON of wasted hours. Never, NEVER again.

-GDog

Good job getting to the bottom of the problem. More RAM problems presenting themselves in new ways. Good stuff. haha :rolleyes:

Yes, folks frequently choose RAM without considering the motherboard manufacturer's recommendations. If every stick of RAM a manufacturer suggests is rated @ 1.5v, then I can assume that I should buy 1.5v RAM. Which 1.5v RAM is another matter, but I could probably figure that out by referring to the same chart. I'd be looking at timings and clock speeds. If I were dealing with a WHS server, then I'd stay far away from any RAM that needs to run other than spec timings and voltages. Stability over speed, because frankly, there's no significant speed gains when talking about servers. Cool, stable, power efficient, and fast = happy server admin.