RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Best Server Recovery Method

awraynor

Prior to selling my 495 I backed up my shares and client backups to an external drive.

I also retained all the drives from the 495. On my new server I would prefer to have a

dedicated OS drive and the rest as data drives. The 495 had the OS drive partitioned

with the OS and data. Any recommendations on the most foolproof way to go from the old

MSS to the new homebrew with dedicated OS drive?

There is no way to isolation the system drive from also being a data drive in WHSv1. Sorry. You can in Vail though.

There is no way to isolation the system drive from also being a data drive in WHSv1. Sorry. You can in Vail though.

Will you be putting these drives in a new HP server ? not a MSS ? Doing a server recovery is one of the ways to rebuild a broken OS, however with HP, the OEM version is expecting you to install this on a MSS. If you run the OEM OS on a DIY box, this could be an issue, you might be limited to buying a Microsoft WHS DVD version and recover with that.

No, it will be a vanilla WHS install, not the MSS version. I would like to leave all the shares and backups in place

if possible, just replace the MSS OSS with the plain WHS install. If not I could nuke it all and restore from the

external drive where everything is saved as a safeguard. I replaced the MSS with an i3 540 homebuild.