RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What is the best solution to backup my media on my Home Server?

fredload

I have ripped all of my DVD's and media to my Home Server. I use my WHS (Version 1) to backup my PC's and stream my media. I have well over 5TB of media on my home server, which has just over 8TB of total storage. I am a little nervous about losing some of my files if I lose a HD or have some type of problem with my server. I was wondering with this much media what is the best way to back it up. Could I use a Drobo to do this? I am looking for some suggestions and wonder what others are doing. Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• dvn

• ikon

• fredload

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have duplication turned on for the media? If so, then you can survive a hard drive crash with no problem.

Do you have duplication turned on for the media? If so, then you can survive a hard drive crash with no problem.

Right. That's what I'm doing. I also use a docking station and a 1.5 TB drive to keep an additional copy of my movies. I use other drives with the docking station to back up the server itself. I really should come up with a NAS box to handle this function. In lieu of a Drobo which sounds great but is too expensive right now, I'm thinking of going with FreeNAS.

For my bulk media (ie: CD and DVD rips), I have duplication turned off and back them up to external hard drives which I then store off-site. I also have the original discs in storage that I could go back to, but that would be a pain.

I look at it this way, I put a significant amount of time ripping the media down. So, I want it duplicated. I could use internal server resources for that. But, the cost of the external drives I got was nearly as cheap as the internal, so I accomplish the duplication plus I get it out of the server and in a safer place in 1 step. As I get new media, I store it on the server and another computer until I get a drive back and move it to that external (and back off-site).

Keith

I have ripped all of my DVD's and media to my Home Server. I use my WHS (Version 1) to backup my PC's and stream my media. I have well over 5TB of media on my home server, which has just over 8TB of total storage. I am a little nervous about losing some of my files if I lose a HD or have some type of problem with my server. I was wondering with this much media what is the best way to back it up. Could I use a Drobo to do this? I am looking for some suggestions and wonder what others are doing. Any help would be appreciated.

I agree. Use duplication for as long as you can. I have 15T and have been duplicating for a long time. When I build by raid server I will move all my movies off there but until then duplication is the way to go.

I don't think I have enough space for duplication? I have over 5TB of Video and only a little over 8TB of space on my server, and I am out of SATA ports on my MB to add any additional HD's. Thats why I was thinking about a DROBO or possible a NAS box that I could plug in via USB. But I am not sure if and how to pull it off??

I don't see how you're going to have room for redundancy on a drobo either. Have you looked into getting a PCIe SATA controller? Do you have more space in your case?

I don't see how you're going to have room for redundancy on a drobo either. Have you looked into getting a PCIe SATA controller? Do you have more space in your case?

I hadn't thought about using an PCIe SATA controller card to add additional HD's. I guess if I add 2 more 2TB drives that should give me enough space to use for duplication. I already have 5 HD's and a DVD drive installed, I am running with a 500 Watt power supply. Would adding a 6th and 7th drive be a problem with power consumption? And if anyone has a recommendation of a PCIe SATA controller card they would recommend I would really appreciate the guidance. Are there any drawbacks to adding a PCIe controller to add HD's. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks again for all of the help so far.

Hey Colts Fan,

Check this thread for controller options. http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1252-sata-ii-controller-card/ the links are out of stock/discontinued but it should get you started.

Newegg should have pretty much anything you need. You can start a search in the controller sectionhere.

Let us know what you go with!