pcdoc

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• pcdoc

• BlackCat

I was doing some poking around and I found this article about the new Sandy Bridge processors containing Hardware DRM for DVD's and streaming, Sandy Bridge DRM. I haven't really found too much other info on the topic(my Google-Fu is weak), but this concerns me as I like to backup up my physical media to my server. Guess I will have to wait and see how it plays out before I figure out my desktop build.

Edited by BlackCat

Good catch. I hadn't thought about that. I will also unDRM some of my Zune music to use

on my other devices. Might be some issues there too?

Good catch. I hadn't thought about that. I will also unDRM some of my Zune music to use

on my other devices. Might be some issues there too?

Not sure that Microsoft would be a fan of such action.

Guest no-control

@BlackCat - It isn't DRM for physical media, its for streaming content. It just supports flagging, similar to HDCP. All it does is keep you from recording the stream. If you already paid for the stream why bother trying to copy it?

Not sure that Microsoft would be a fan of such action.

I'm not a fan of such actions from microsoft. I bought the music there is no reason it should come with DRM attached. :rolleyes:

@BlackCat - It isn't DRM for physical media, its for streaming content. It just supports flagging, similar to HDCP. All it does is keep you from recording the stream. If you already paid for the stream why bother trying to copy it?

Ah, I didn't realize it was only streaming. I don't have a problem with it keeping me from recording a stream. I was just worried that one day I would buy a new movie, come home to find out there is no way I could back it up because of hardware DRM on my processor. Thanks for clarifying for me. :)

I'm not a fan of such actions from microsoft. I bought the music there is no reason it should come with DRM attached. :rolleyes:

But you're enough of a fan to buy it from them in the first place knowing full well what the conditions were.

No-Control is correct. I have tested most types of content including ripped content with no issues at all. Everything plays as it should. That is tech that will be deployed by content providers on as needed basis. This will not effect you existing content and should not be a concern. Good point though.

Based on the power draw metrics from your article, am I correct in concluding that battery life in mobile applications should approach double the prior generation with Sandy Bridge?

Jim

I tell you, MS has pulled so much crap lately that I am beginning to lose interest in them (vail beta expiring a perfect example). Maybe apple isn't the devil after all.