RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HSS 2011

Dave

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to start a quick thread and get your opinion for this year of podcasts and blog posts. Refresh me on some ideas that you might be interested in, etc. It's also a good time to let me know what you liked during 2010 and what you didn't.

Topics (more of less of?)

WHS v1

Vail

Drive Extender Alternatives

Drobo/Synology type external boxes

Developer interviews

Manufacturer interviews

External drives

Builds

media center stuff

streaming

MyMovies kind of stuff, ripping, etc

virtualization

home automation

I could go on and on but I'll let you tell me what you like and don't like. Be nice.

Dave

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• usacomp2k3

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• geek-accountant

These are the big topics for me; especially DE alternatives and media center related topics.

There is quite a lot of talk re: tablets and phones, don't know if you want to add forum topics

for these or keep it server related? Guess we can leave OS related items to the BYOB guys?

These are the big topics for me; especially DE alternatives and media center related topics.

There is quite a lot of talk re: tablets and phones, don't know if you want to add forum topics

for these or keep it server related? Guess we can leave OS related items to the BYOB guys?

I try to keep the tablet and phone discussions strictly in the forums. Sometimes it's hard but notice I didn't go overboard with the VZW iPhone announcement.

I like the DE alternatives myself. Raid, raid cards, software raid options, external options, etc.

For me:-

Likes / wants:-

Continued WHS V1.

DE alternatives for future V2 (whatever that may or may not be!)

Developer interviews

WHS Integration - ie:- Home control, media center (and others), etc.

WHS Builds. (There were some really cool ones last year)

Not so much:-

Phones

Virtualization

Purely my personal interests so apologies if I differ from others.

I'd like to see more content oriented around how people are using their WHS machines (basically Integration mentioned above). I know at one point Dave, you had talked about how your child was able to queue up content from WHS with an iPad.. I think exploring setups like that (maybe with a follow up step-by-step guide to be posted) would generate alot of interest and discussion.

The phone talk was interesting and was good filler material, but I didn't get a whole lot out of it.

The virtualization talks were also quite interesting, but I can see how that wouldn't appeal to some people (those sort discussions might be good as a 'bonus' podcast or left for BYOB).

I did like the manufacture interviews as well. I know those are probably quite hard to setup, but I definitely found them to be worthwhile.

Well since I been labeled the "Linux guy" (I really don't know much about Linux), I will would like to suggest we go beyond just Windows Home Server. I know this is Dave's place and I respect his wishes, but I would like to see more "server" talk outside of WHS. No, I DON'T want this place to turn into a Linux site, I would like to see more talk about Aurora, Server 2008 and some talk about non Windows based servers.

Another item, although I don't know how you would do this in an audio podcast, is server storage. I have mine on a wire rack from Home Depot, but really need a better solution without spending a bunch on a real rack. Heck, I need to start a new thread on this and ask for people to post photos.

I know this is a bit out of order, but by opening it up to other servers (ie, not just WHS), we can also talk about all the items you can run from a server (home automation, web sites, VOIP, DHCP, DNS, etc).

Of course I would love to hear more about virtualization. All the normal stuff (Windows guest), but also things like routers.

I love the interviews with developers or enthusiasts or other MVP's (maybe have a goal of interviewing all HSS MVP's in 2011) or hardware people.

We have been testing a gallery product here on the board that would allow members to upload photos to their personal gallery and showcase them in posts and such. It's not the greatest piece of software and we are waiting for a revision from the company before we proceed with that.

Otherwise, I like all the ideas I've heard so far. I like the developer interviews. Look for more developer talk/relations here soon. Bill(POCA) has a post today that will give you a hint.

Media with WHS, SabatonFan, I like. My WHS is used for that every single day and I love it. We always need more talk on this!

I think alternatives to DE is a no brainer. I hope you guys feel the same. I may need some help too. You RAID/SBS/Linux type guys may need to step up and podcast a bit with us.

Maybe I need to open up to the community and find the experts. GA mentioned, DNS etc. Maybe find those folks who are pushing the limits with their servers. Oh wait, we have Diehard! We need more John Zajdlers!

Another item, although I don't know how you would do this in an audio podcast, is server storage. I have mine on a wire rack from Home Depot, but really need a better solution without spending a bunch on a real rack. Heck, I need to start a new thread on this and ask for people to post photos.

I have a thread on here somewhere about a server rack I have set up in my basement. You really can get rack equipment on a very reasonable budget if you look around a bit. I'd be happy to do a guest article or quick interview on my rack equipment. There must be a couple of other people here with one as well, so maybe we could compare notes.

Perhaps a Rate my Rack contest? ;)

Another thought on this thread. If there is something you would like to discuss with me without it being public you are free to e-mail me. podcast AT you know the name. Or use the contact page on the blog for more anonymity.