RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

EX495 Networking Troubles/Issue.

Mike

Hey everyone! I have a connection issue to my HP MSS ex495 and need some help. Right now I only have one client laptop to the WHS, which I access my home network via a wireless connection and I can access my ex495 this way also. The problem arises when I use a wired network connection. I attach my laptop to my dir-655 router via a ethernet cable. I can access the internet, but I'm unable to access the ex495. The connector icon in the tray is green and It will come up on the screen. When I enter my password, it says it cannot connect to the server. Does anyone have an Idea on this one. Thanks for the help.

/Mike Biel

Can you access your Folder Shares, or does it also prompt for password?

Can you still connect via wireless?

Run Discovery.exe from your laptop - located in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server.

If that doesn't work, uninstall Windows Home Server Connector. The re-run the WHS Client Connector setup from the CD you got with the MSS.

@dvn
Hey! Thanks for the reply.

I cannot access the folder shares. I get an error: "Windows cannot access \\Myserver". And in the details it says "Not a valid host name".

I still can connect via wireless connection.

I'm thinking about reinstalling the connector, probably tomorrow.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again

/Mike Biel

Ya, reinstalling connector is quick enough. Good point about firewall settings, too. Try these things first, then let us know if you need additional help.

Hey! Problem solved. It turned out that netbios over tcp/ip4 was not enabled on my wired network connection. Once enabled, I was able to access my ex495 via a wired network connection. Thanks for the help dvn and usacomp2k3; Much appreciated.

/Mike Biel

PART TWO: OK. The first part of this issue I was able to figure out and get it working. Now when I have my laptop plugged into my router, I'm able to access my WHS. It turned out that NetBIOS over TCP/IP4 needed to be enabled on the NIC. A little background info. On my network setup: I don't have a phone jack on my office where I have my WHS and my desktop setup. The phone jack is in the bedroom across the hall. So I have the DSL modem plugged in in the bedroom and my DIR-655 router attached. In the office I have a DAP-1522 wireless bridge in which I have my desktop and my WHS attached via cat5e cable. When I use my laptop with a wireless network connection, I'm able to access the network/internet and my WHS, and everything seems fine. The problem arises when I turn off the laptop's wireless adapter and attach the laptop to the DAP-1522 wireless bridge via a cat5e cable. This way, I'm able to access my network/internet, but I'm not able to access my WHS. The connector icon in the system tray is grayed out. When I try to access the folder shares, I get an error about checking the spelling of your server name, which is correct by the way. Does anyone have any ideas or info. on this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

/Mike Biel

I had a simalr problem when I changed connection types, try re-installing the connector software and if that works, you may have to choose how to connect. It should not be that way, but the root cause I have yet to find. If you find something, please post your results.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the DIR-655 and a 1522 sitting around. I've been meaning to install the 1522 and try this out. I don't know if I want to move my WHS over to the 1522 right now. It's not being very trustworthy at the moment but that's another thread.

I wonder if your ethernet connection is pulling a different IP address and that is throwing off the WHS? Do you reboot after switching from wireless to ethernet?

The WHS and the laptop are both on the same switch on the 1522, their just being bridged over to the router for access. It must be something that the 1522 is doing if the reboot doesn't work.