RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
MarkC

Convert HPE ML110 Gen9 SFF to LFF

MarkC
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I'm looking to spec a refurbished ML110 Gen9 server from a reputable seller, however it is SFF hotplug - unfortunately there are no LFF chassis in stock and they are not sure when they will be stocking more. How hard would it be to change over to a LFF cage? Can I just swap the cages out or is the wiring/physical chassis different?

I don't really want to go down the SFF route as I am upgrading from a Gen8 microserver and all of my storage drives are LFF.

Any help is most welcome.

Thanks,

Mark.

Edited by MarkC

Robertomcat

Hello!
I also changed from the microserver to the ML110 G9!

If the server carries the specific cables for SFF, it will have extra connectors, because for the LFF only four SATA are needed. What I do not know is if the same cable can feed the 3,5 disks.

When I bought the ML I was carrying a non-hot plug cage, and the SATA cable was directly connected to the disks. On the same server baseplate there are more SATA connectors to be able to incorporate more discs, you should investigate the subject of feeding.

My server currently has two four-disk hot plug cages, and is managed by a P440 controller (You have to buy a specific SATA cable, and another for power), and these four disks are only for data; the integrated controller is the one that manages the operating system with two SSD disks (which is the cable that initially when you buy server connect to the disks of the cage no hot plug)

MarkC
10 hours ago, Robertomcat said:

Hello!
I also changed from the microserver to the ML110 G9!

If the server carries the specific cables for SFF, it will have extra connectors, because for the LFF only four SATA are needed. What I do not know is if the same cable can feed the 3,5 disks.

When I bought the ML I was carrying a non-hot plug cage, and the SATA cable was directly connected to the disks. On the same server baseplate there are more SATA connectors to be able to incorporate more discs, you should investigate the subject of feeding.

My server currently has two four-disk hot plug cages, and is managed by a P440 controller (You have to buy a specific SATA cable, and another for power), and these four disks are only for data; the integrated controller is the one that manages the operating system with two SSD disks (which is the cable that initially when you buy server connect to the disks of the cage no hot plug)

Hello,

Thanks for the response. I will have to dig deeper and have a look on what is needed. There doesn't really seem to any information on this online so in general it doesn't look good. :-(

I've posted the same question on the HPE forums in the hope that someone has done this. Technically I see no reason why it can't be done but I guess it's availability of specific parts. Getting the cage and backplane doesn't seem to be an issue, I think my only concern may be getting the correct cables. This is something I will have to conduct further research on!

Robertomcat

If you are going to use the integrated controller to perform a RAID 5, I recommend that you incorporate a hardware controller, the integrated works really bad in that type of RAID, the read and write rates are really embarrassing. 😖

Well, I hope that you will comment in the future on what has been the solution you have adopted, I am interested to know. 🙂