RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Paul44

HP Microserver Gen 8 Onboard Raid

Paul44

If I have OS running on Drive 1 and install a second drive in bay 2 and try setup Raid, will it erase my first drive with the OS?

JackoUK

When you boot the machine you have the opportunity to enter Disk Administrator (watch for the prompt during post) using a function key ...

… which you should accept.

The OS disk in bay 1 will be listed as RAID 0, which simply means a disk which the HP controller leaves alone.

The new disk in bay 2 will be listed … but as 'unconfigured'.

If you wish to employ it as a data disk then use the controls to set it as RAID 0 as well, after which you will see 2 separate disks in your OS UI.

If you want to make the 2 disks a RAID 1 array then that's a whole different ball game … which will require an OS re-installation.

There is of course nothing wrong with cloning the OS disk image: just in case.

Paul44
4 minutes ago, JackoUK said:

When you boot the machine you have the opportunity to enter Disk Administrator (watch for the prompt during post) using a function key ...

… which you should accept.

The OS disk in bay 1 will be listed as RAID 0, which simply means a disk which the HP controller leaves alone.

The new disk in bay 2 will be listed … but as 'unconfigured'.

If you wish to employ it as a data disk then use the controls to set it as RAID 0 as well, after which you will see 2 separate disks in your OS UI.

If you want to make the 2 disks a RAID 1 array then that's a whole different ball game … which will require an OS re-installation.

There is of course nothing wrong with cloning the OS disk image: just in case.

Many thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for