RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Restoring a virtualized WHS - help!

eagle63

Hey guys, I've been running WHSv1 on Hyper-V for a couple of months now very successfully. My "system" drive is a virtual hard drive, but I also have three 2TB hard drives in my storage pool which Hyper-V talks to directly (so not virtual disks). I have 2 other PC's in the house which are getting backed up to the WHS.

Anyway, I decided to try a little disaster recovery scenario today just to make sure I could save and restore everything successfully. (as an aside, I've already done this test on my other guest VM's with no problems, just hadn't tried it with WHS until today)

First I "exported" my WHS vm using Hyper-V's export feature. This basically copies the .vhd (virtual hard drive) file and a couple of .xml configuration files to an external drive. Then I deleted the VM from Hyper-V.

Since the 3 storage drives aren't virtualized, I just left those alone.

Finally I "imported" (restored) the WHS vm back into Hyper-V and went into the settings to point it back at the 3 storage drives.

Upon booting up WHS, everything appeared to be running normally except it kept giving me errors that "..the backup service isn't running, click here to run repair on your backups." So I ran repair on the backups. After a few minutes, it came back and said that my backups were unrecoverable and therefore deleted. After that, however, the backup service was running and it was ready to backup my PC's. I took a look around the shared drives to make sure all my data was there, and it was. So after all this, I have 2 questions:

1. How concerned should I be that the backups were destroyed? I don't need them, so I don't care that they got deleted, but what what I care more about is why. Do the backups live on the System drive or in the storage pool? If the backups somehow got messed up, does that mean there might be other lingering problems I'm not aware of?

2. Are there steps I should have taken before saving/restoring to prevent this problem? In other words, is there a best practice for restoring WHS in a virtualized environment??

Thanks for any help!!

The backups reside on the system drive AND the data drives. I am wondering if this could be the cause of your problems. I am in the process of converting my WHS to a virtual system. Now I wonder if it isn't a better plan to wait until Vail comes out and you can separate the system drive from the backups.

The backups reside on the system drive AND the data drives. I am wondering if this could be the cause of your problems. I am in the process of converting my WHS to a virtual system. Now I wonder if it isn't a better plan to wait until Vail comes out and you can separate the system drive from the backups.

I don't think this is accurate. I am pretty sure the backup files reside only on the system drive. I believe this is also mentioned in AJ's article on the HSS Blog. If I am wrong, I will surely retract my statements, but I am pretty sure they are only located on the system drive (unless you run BDBB).

Edited by cskenney
I am wrong....

You mean the PC backups, or the system backup? I was talking about the PC backups which I am pretty sure can't all fit on my small system drive. My system drive is a 500gig drive and my PC backups total almost 2TB.

Edited by geek-accountant

You mean the PC backups, or the system backup? I was talking about the PC backups which I am pretty sure can't all fit on my small system drive. My system drive is a 500gig drive and my PC backups total almost 2TB.

Your right, I went back and looked at the AJ's post. It mentions a non-duplicated area on his D:\ drive (not system drive).

Yep, I was referring to the PC backups. My hunch here is that the problem wasn't the system drive (which was virtualized), but rather the 3 storage drives. Maybe when I re-added them to the WHS VM, they were in a different order or something and that was just enough to throw WHS off. Who knows though... Everything seems to be running smoothly so I'm not that concerned.

I rand into a similar issue when I converted by physical machine to virtual. I think this was due to me waiting a couple of days between the backup and actually bringing up the VM. When I did the conversion the second time it did not have any issues. The backup is spread across all your drives.

Make sure to backup your backups with BDBB. I had done this and simply restored them after the conversion and it worked perfect. I have three manual backups. BDBB, MyMovies, and the VHD System drive. These are all offsite.

I sleep well now...