RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Rack Laptop $59.99

Dave

Do you have a rack laptop?  I have a cheap laptop that I only use to connect to the router, check internet connectivity, etc.    I found one on Newegg that may do well if you don't have one. It's not a speed demon but it's cheap!  $59.99

Lenovo / IBM X200 ThinkPad Laptop 12'' Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz 4GB RAM 160GB HDD Windows Vista with Webcam

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6A38UZ3806&Tpk=9SIA6A38UZ3806

Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 12.08.09 PM.png

BSR

Yes!  Mine's a ThinkPad X230 that was my daily driver for years.  Now on an x270, so this one is just relegated to exactly what you said:  Check connections, tweak router....until it dies.  Most of my newer laptops don't have that ethernet jack - so essential for figuring out what's really happening, especially if WiFi is giving you issues.

I hope you're not running the Vista it came with....what OS is yours on, Dave?  Mine is running Linux Mint 19.

Dave

Not running this one.  Here is my "racktop."  I'm sure this one would update easily.

Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 4.11.54 PM.png

Like you said, has Ethernet built in so it's easy.  The untangle build is to the left. The Synology router screen is up on the laptop.

BSR

Nice!  Old Macbooks work well too! 

I like those small form-factor x-series Thinkpads so much I thought hard about that x200, but can't justify it and think of a place I'd use it.  They're so bulletproof and utilitarian though. 

Back in it's prime, that x230 was maxed out with 16Gb of RAM and TWO SSD drives.  There's a bay for a regular one, and I found you could add an M.2 drive to a slot under the keyboard.  So it was dual-boot Windows/Linux for several years.  I just got the x270, but haven't had time to see if it can be set up that same way. 

A lot of what I love about those is that you CAN still upgrade things.  As much as I like my MacBook Pro and Surface Pro 4, neither one can be upgraded in any way without lots of work and the risk of breakage.  Great machines, but much harder to "pimp your rig".

• Like 1

ShadowPeo

Personally I have one of these. Died at a clients so it was replaced, and I have done a little work to get it working 

https://www.belkin.com/au/p/P-F1DC108H/

cq5dam.web.1000.1000.jpeg

Dave

That used to be the top dog back in my networking days.  It does tuck away nicely.  I'm thinking i will stick to my macbook's touchpad over that beast!

BSR

Agreed - those are great, but only if you have a real rack (I don't....just the wire-rack type) and only if you find one for cheap!