RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
axoid

Just swiched to Google Wifi

axoid

We've been running Apple Airport Extreme as router and a second one as a extender for the last 9 years. But with apple having dropped support I've been looking for a replacement. I decided to give the Google WIFI a try. 

I bought the 3 node package and it took about 10 minutes total to get first node going. The other 2 took about 50 minutes. That was because I wanted to use wired connections as the backhaul. This feature isn't as well documented as it should be, but eventually figured it out. I've only had it running 3 hours so far and I still have to setup the port forwarding, but seems to be working good so far. 

JROrtiz

Nice. Didn't realize Ethernet backhaul was supported now. 

DocACE911
We've been running Apple Airport Extreme as router and a second one as a extender for the last 9 years. But with apple having dropped support I've been looking for a replacement. I decided to give the Google WIFI a try. 

I bought the 3 node package and it took about 10 minutes total to get first node going. The other 2 took about 50 minutes. That was because I wanted to use wired connections as the backhaul. This feature isn't as well documented as it should be, but eventually figured it out. I've only had it running 3 hours so far and I still have to setup the port forwarding, but seems to be working good so far. 

So now what software / servers really need port forwarding where UPNP fails? I used to do a lot of this but now Xbox live, leaving! Etc all seem to navigate the modern UPNP and not need forwarding

axoid

G-Wifi has port forwarding. Set it up this morning pointing to my home server. Also playing around with setting up a home VPN.

oj88

Please CMIIW, I am under the impression that UPnP is generally unsafe and should’nt be used unless absolutely necessary. Port-forwarding affords you a bit of specificity and granularity over what inbound traffic and to where is allowed. Simply put, UPnP is like giving your devices and apps the keys to the firewall, which then grants them the capability to dynamically allow traffic in as required.

Dave

That's the general idea for tech enthusiasts @oj88 . I think we all turn it off due to that very fact.  Otherwise, it makes things easy for those not inclined to do port forwarding.

@axoid How is the speed on those things?  I heard they were a tad slower but have never tried for myself.

axoid

I've only done a single transfer test with a 6GB zip file from a server to my Surface Pro 4 (only computer that I have that has AC wifi). It averaged around 15Mb/s with a peek or 37Mb/s. A download of the same file over the gigabit lan was 101Mb/s. I never tested the old setup, of course it only supported N.

I'm less concerned with the speed as I'm with the stability of the connection. Our old wifi setup would regulatory drop connections even when we had a strong signal. We would often have to reconnect our mobile devices to the wifi, sometime as many as 4 time in an hour.

• Like 1

DocACE911
That's the general idea for tech enthusiasts@oj88 . I think we all turn it off due to that very fact.  Otherwise, it makes things easy for those not inclined to do port forwarding.

[mention=160]axoid[/mention] How is the speed on those things?  I heard they were a tad slower but have never tried for myself.

So maybe I misunderstand the value of UPNP. I thought the point was to make it simple, but second to only open ports if necessary

So letting my Xbox’s manage via UPNP means those 5 ports (including udp) are only open when it connects to Xbox live. Ditto for my server 2012.

So doing a remote port scan on my router I don’t see I have open UDP ports. So where is the security flaw? Not trusting the Xbox or server 2012?

ShadowPeo

Well for one it can open any port it wants, if it's compromised it can open any port to any service and you are non-the-wiser to it doing it. Beyond that let's say there is a web service on something, let say a security camera. The web service itself is legit, but it uses UPNP to open a port to itself for easy access for you, but you may not want that and when it does that lo and behold your security camera is now on the internet for anyone to access. I hope you can and have changed that password and its not just an open stream, not to mention the poor security and updates on these kinds of devices to start with.

If you leave the door open for what you want, you also leave it open for what you don't want. Better to have a little manual work to forward those ports and manage the allowed connections and be more secure than 90% of people than to be one of the 90%.

Excluding big companies, high-value individuals and alike that are targets in and of themselves for a hack, the best security you can have is being harder to target than the next guy, most of these people who want to build SPAM networks want to get as many endpoints, not penetrate the hard ones.

Bit like the old story, I do not have to outrun the tiger, I only have to outrun you

• Like 2