RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
ieatrocks

>16gb success on G2020T.

ieatrocks

I've got 16gb ddr3 Rdimms that the server won't accept and 4gb Udimms that I have to use.

But, if slot 0 is a Udimm, slot 1 won't even check for registration.

Currently a 4gb Udimm in slot 0 and a 16gb Rdimm in slot 1  boots normally and shows 20gb available.

Can I get some confirmation with anyone else able to test this? Is there a real technical reason why we might want to avoid this? Rdimms that don't register should act just like Udimms as far as my reading leads me. 

Will a xeon upgrade let me use 2 of my Rdimms for 32gb? Apparently the inability to accept dimm registration is tied to the pentium chip, but without a swap handy to test, I don't know if the BIOS blocks Rdimm as well.

schoondoggy

Do you have an OS running on the server? How much memory is available in the OS? Registered memory is not supported on the MS Gen8. The server will sometimes boot with registered memory installed, iLo can see it, but it is not available for the OS.

I assume your OS will see the 4GB and the 16GB will not be available.

ieatrocks

OS sees 20.

Onboard diags tests all ok, but the tests take less than 5 mins so obviously it's not thorough.

You're absolutely right when plugging in 2 sticks of rdimm though, I get a boot loop.

With 1+1 udimm and rdimm, I pass BIOS.

edit:

Registered memory is not supported on the MS Gen8.

Even swapping out the pentium for a xeon? Looking for clarification from someone who's tried hopefully. I know the specs say no, but it also appears that's a limit of the chip not the board from what I gather.

Edited by ieatrocks

schoondoggy

What OS are you running?

schoondoggy

Intel CPU's of this era could only use 8GB per slot.

ieatrocks

Sure enough, it sees it but cannot use it.

It appears that the memory is "Hardware reserved" and does not hit at all. Definitely not actually in use even if the bios, os, and everything can see the additional 16gb.

edit:

Windows PE and windows 10.  The built in diagnostics and ilo also reported it being there though. Ah well. 

Edited by ieatrocks

mazo22
5 hours ago, ieatrocks said:

My config is 4+8=12 gb ram but I have a ibm server where 192 gb ram is available for testing - 16 gb modules I tried them before of course did not work - I will try to combine the 4GB slot 0 an 16Gb slot 1 or vice versa - before I tried 16Gb just one stick or 2x16 gb which did not work

Sure enough, it sees it but cannot use it.

It appears that the memory is "Hardware reserved" and does not hit at all. Definitely not actually in use even if the bios, os, and everything can see the additional 16gb.

edit:

Windows PE and windows 10.  The built in diagnostics and ilo also reported it being there though. Ah well. 

One more question not in direct connection to this - what is the difference in original HP ram modules - as ilo reports the original as HP smart module the 8 gb non HP does not say hp smart module - apart of the “label hp smart module” is there any additional feature?

ieatrocks
7 hours ago, mazo22 said:

One more question not in direct connection to this - what is the difference in original HP ram modules - as ilo reports the original as HP smart module the 8 gb non HP does not say hp smart module - apart of the “label hp smart module” is there any additional feature?

I wouldn't bother tossing in any of your ibm ram man. I don't think there's any way to boot the g8 without 'tricking' it like I did, and even then, it was purely cosmetic and didn't actually work.

I assume the "HP smart" module is something in the XMP profile that lets the HP bios know that the ram is certified.

It might even be possible to figure out what certifies it as a smart module and use something like Thaiphoon (http://www.softnology.biz/) to edit your XMP profiles and spoof the HP smart flags the bios is looking for.