RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Is my power supply bad?

whsdude

It was almost as if my frankenbuild knew his days were numbered. It has one last job... that is, copy a few ripped DVD to my spanking new build. Problem is, it will not fire up. When I turn on the PS switch, the power LED light goes on as do other lights, but no hard drive or fans begin spinning. The built-in fan of the PS doesn't fire up either. The case's "on" switch doesn't seem to do anything. Is it possible my Power Supply went on me. If not, what else can it be.

I don't have any spare PSs, but a Microcenter is 10 minutes away. Should I get a $20 Power supply to test it out?

Since I have 3 drives in the WHS box, I suspect I need WHS to fire up to see ANY of the files... would that be correct?

Thanks,

Rob

Is the frankenbuild a WHS v1 box? If it is, remove the drive you want to get the files off from and pop it into another computer. You can read the files directly off the drive and move them to the new server.

If you had a VAIL server, you can't read the files directly off the drive.

Is the frankenbuild a WHS v1 box? If it is, remove the drive you want to get the files off from and pop it into another computer. You can read the files directly off the drive and move them to the new server.

If you had a VAIL server, you can't read the files directly off the drive.

Yes it's WHS v1 box.

So you are saying the files are now split across my drives? So I can drop in drive #1, find the files I can about, copy them over. Repeat for drive #2 then #3? I would put all 3 in, but I can't because the 2 of the old drives are IDE and my new mobo only supports one. But if I can go one at at time, that would be awesome! Thanks for the fast response.

Edited by whsdude

Files are on one drive (2 if duplication on). Put them in the new server but don't add to pool. RDP into server and move from the added drive to pooled drive.

Files are on one drive (2 if duplication on). Put them in the new server but don't add to pool. RDP into server and move from the added drive to pooled drive.

This worked great. The only trick was that the files & folders where stored under X:\DE, there DE (short for Drive Extender, I assume) was a hidden folder. Out of the box Win2008 Explorer doesn't show hidden folders, which is silly. Thanks for the tip!

Rob