RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi on a Core i5-2400

Citezein

I've built a new WHS box on a second generation Core i5-2400. I have a thread in the builds forum, but wanted to start another one here to chronicle the use of ESXi and Hyper-V on the hardware.

The relevant hardware being used is a Core i5-2400 CPU and an Intel DH67BL mATX motherboard with 8GB of RAM housed in a Chenbro rack-mounted case. Originally both Hyper-V and ESXi failed to work properly. ESXi refused to install, while Hyper-V installed but would not recognize the on-board Intel 82579V NIC. I worked around this by installing an Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PCIe NIC, which was recognized by both immediately.

As of now, I've decided to go with ESXi for my hypervisor due to its USB pass-through support. This was critical for me to have for backup external drives, USB flash drives, and for monitoring my UPS. I've tested this with a plain Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 VM and it worked flawlessly.

A few features seem unsupported by my hardware with ESXi. These include:

• On-board audio and network card
  • Hardware temperature monitoring
  • Intel Quick Sync video encoding

I hope future versions of both software will support at least the on-board NIC and temperature monitoring. Additionally, I found in the Hyper-V forums that Hyper-V needs to be running SP1, which is currently a RC build, to work properly with the new Sandy Bridge chips.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the virtualization part of my build in this thread. I'd also like to hear about other people's experiences with ESXi and Hyper-V with the new Sandy Bridge systems.

Hi Citezein,

Thanks for the post.

Intel® 82579V Gigabit NIC is quite new so I assume ESX(i) do not support it yet, so you require to add extra NIC.

I'm also planning to build ESXi4.1 U1 when it is released soon using Intel DH67BL + i7 2600.

I've saw an article regarding system using Intel DH67BL + i7 2600K + onboard graphic only consuming around 35 watts while in idle state.

Do you know what kind of power consumption your server have?

richmax64

Do you know what kind of power consumption your server have?

With a single 2.5" drive and no case fans being powered other than the CPU fan my system was idling at 27 Watts. This is with an Antec Earthwatts 380 Watt PSU. After I add a DVD and three green drives I'll likely idle around 45 Watts.

snipped

I am trying to get very similar hardware working on ESXi i5-2500, Gigabyte H67M-UD2H, 8 gigs of kingston ddr3. At first i got vmf3 error when trying to install ESXi then i used vmware player to create a usb-stick with ESXi (in another sytem) which boots on the Gigabyte H67M-UD2H. Unfortunately the onboard NIC rtl8111E isn't supported so i am going to get a intel nic.

Anyway any help or comments would be appreciated.

Could you just run me trough the problems you encountered and how you fixed them!

Could you just run me trough the problems you encountered and how you fixed them!

The onboard NIC was the only issue I encountered. After installing the new Intel NIC, the ESXi install went absolutely fine. This was my first time using ESXi ever and it was extraordinarily simple.

After installing ESXi, I went into the console and made my IP static and configured a few other items. Really though, it was a simple process. I've been running the server for a week now with a single 2008 R2 x64 VM on it and have no complaints. I'm looking forward to running the next Vail beta in a few weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to get very similar hardware working on ESXi i5-2500, Gigabyte H67M-UD2H, 8 gigs of kingston ddr3. At first i got vmf3 error when trying to install ESXi then i used vmware player to create a usb-stick with ESXi (in another sytem) which boots on the Gigabyte H67M-UD2H. Unfortunately the onboard NIC rtl8111E isn't supported so i am going to get a intel nic.

Hi, can I ask how you got ESXi to recognise the onboard SATA controller of the H67M-UD2H?

I have the same motherboard and used a modded version of an ESXi 4.0 installer that recognised the Realtek RTL8111E NIC. However, it didn't recognise the onboard SATA controller. I have since patched the ESXi box to 4.1 U1 using the official download and that didn't recognise the SATA controller either. I've looked through the BIOS and disabled all AHCI settings for SATA, but still nothing.

Which version of ESXi did you use? 4.0 or 4.1?

Thanks

I just ordered another 6 Intel nic's and plan to use them in every workstation in the house and every server. I just get better results using them when compared to the on-board nics.

As for ESXi, I would love to give it a try, but I tried twice and had issues with the hardware each time. Each time, Xenserver installed without a problem. I also had no trouble getting Hyper-V to load. While I understand that ESXi is the industry standard and has a top notch feature set, I don't understand why they are the worst when it comes to hardware compatibility.

In the end, I am tired and don't have the time to fight ESXi to get it to install when the other solutions install with such ease. If you continue to have trouble with ESXi and are still wanting to set up a virtual server, I suggest giving Xenserver or Hyper-V a try. Hyper-V is pretty much limited to Windows based OS's, while Xenserver can run just about anything.