RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Strange keyboard behavior

LegoTechMan

I hope this isn't too off-topic for this forum...

Last night I ran a new Cat5e cable to my wife's computer. It was having great difficulty connecting wireless. Once I finally got the cable made, the computer connected at 1Gbps (which is a HUGE improvement over the wireless, but that is a different post).

I then went into the network adapter settings to disable the wireless adapter and while I was in there I decided to rename the adapter so that I can easily tell which one is which. While I was typing a new name, something happened and all of a sudden I started getting strange characters in the name. I thought that I maybe hit a combination of keys and put the keyboard into a different mode of something.

I was then unable to type anything. It almost acts as if the CTRL key is pressed all of the time. When I use the mouse to click on icons on my desktop (or any place that lets me select files,etc) it will highlight ever one that I click like I am pressing CTRL to select multiple items!!

I have uninstalled the keyboard driver, tried a different keyboard, rebooted the computer many times and nothing corrects the problem. I looked at the keyboard settings (sticky keys and everything like that).

What is actually happening now is that once I reboot, I can key my Windows password in to get logged in, but once I am logged in the keyboard stops working. Like I mentioned, it does it with 2 different keyboards (on old PS/2 and a new wireless). So I don't think it is the keyboard, it is something in Windows that is happening. I have looked at the event log and there is nothing there that gives me a clue as to what is going on.

I am at a loss, I have tried searching online for causes, but it is hard to search for such an "interesting" problem.

Oh, the PC is running Window 7 Pro.

Has anyone else ever experience anything like this!! Any help will be greatly appreciated! The PC is pretty much useless without a properly functioning keyboard!!

Thanks,

John

You didn't mention if the mouse is still acting like the CTRL key is pressed when you are selecting icons. I will assume for now that it isn't.

The first thing that comes to mind is perhaps the language got changed for windows?

Look in Control Panel --> Clock, Language, and Region --> There is Region and Language.

I would look in there to start and be sure you are still using English. There is apparently a key sequence that can be done (Left Alt + Shift). I don't know if I would just try that but it may be what happened.

If not, can you run a hardware test to see if the keyboard is acting correctly? You mentioned PS/2 keyboard and new wireless keyboard. Is the wireless also using the PS/2 port or is it USB? If both are connected using the PS/2 port I would find a USB keyboard to try.

You didn't mention if the mouse is still acting like the CTRL key is pressed when you are selecting icons. I will assume for now that it isn't.

The first thing that comes to mind is perhaps the language got changed for windows?

Look in Control Panel --> Clock, Language, and Region --> There is Region and Language.

I would look in there to start and be sure you are still using English. There is apparently a key sequence that can be done (Left Alt + Shift). I don't know if I would just try that but it may be what happened.

If not, can you run a hardware test to see if the keyboard is acting correctly?

You mentioned PS/2 keyboard and new wireless keyboard. Is the wireless also using the PS/2 port or is it USB? If both are connected using the PS/2 port I would find a USB keyboard to try.

Yes, the mouse is acting like the CTRL key is pressed too. When selecting icons from the desktop (or files in explorer) it is selecting multiple icons/files/etc.

I think I checked the Region and language, but I will look again to make sure.

Sorry, yes the wireless keyboard is USB, it has the small USB receiver.

I will try the Left-Alt and shift...

What kind of hardware test could I run?

Thanks

Yes, the mouse is acting like the CTRL key is pressed too. When selecting icons from the desktop (or files in explorer) it is selecting multiple icons/files/etc.

I think I checked the Region and language, but I will look again to make sure.

Sorry, yes the wireless keyboard is USB, it has the small USB receiver.

I will try the Left-Alt and shift...

What kind of hardware test could I run?

Thanks

Well...I just went to check these settings.

And the keyboard is working fine now...without me doing anything????

When I went to bed last night at midnight it wasn't working correctly, and now it is?! And I didn't do anything else to it.

Gotta love computers!!!

So I guess for now, I don't need anymore help...

http://www.passmark.com/products/keytest.htm has a 30 day trial. Not sure if you will be able to get it installed though and mainly tests out hardware like the physical keyboard itself.

There is also a mouse setting that will act like you are holding down the right mouse button. Better check that too.

So, my other thought that you won't want to hear is a ESD problem. I don't know how a computer works internally, but it may be possible that an ESD event (a static charge) has damaged something. You mentioned a PS/2 keyboard. Where you using a PS/2 to USB adapter so everything you have been trying has actually been USB?

Well, glad to hear it is working...I think. I hate problems like this because they will show up again at the worst possible moment.

Well, glad to hear it is working...I think. I hate problems like this because they will show up again at the worst possible moment.

Well, my wife was just on her computer and it was working fine...and then it started doing the same thing again! She started clicking on emails and it was selecting all of them! I had her try typing something and it didn't work.

So now it is very intermittent. I apparently don't have to do anything and it will start working. That is not good at all.

What I can't remember if I tried last night (although I think that I did) is unplug the older PS/2 keyboard (which is plugged into the PS/2 port) while the USB keyboard is plugged in. I till try that and also try a wired USB keyboard as well just to see what that does. I am hoping that it is just the old PS/2 keyboard or the PS/2 port..

Doesn't sound good...

Any chance you are running a WHS? Can you restore back to a previous backup? Might be a possibility to rule out a corrupted driver or OS problem.

Doesn't sound good...

Any chance you are running a WHS? Can you restore back to a previous backup? Might be a possibility to rule out a corrupted driver or OS problem.

Yep, I am running WHS. The thought crossed my mind last night about restoring, but I couldn't imagine that this was something that would require that!

I just might have to try it though...couldn't hurt I guess.

Easier still is a simple restore from the client machine. Keyboards go bad..fact of nature. Easy enough for me to say that before I spent days trying to solve this issue, I would go and buy a new keyboard. That's one reason I always have a spare to use as a baseline in case one does go bad.