RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
SpRoX

Tips for Server 2019 install

SpRoX

Hi everyone

I have a friend who's MS Gen8 (with the Celly 1610T + 4 GB Ram) is currently running Windows Server 2008 R2 on 2x 1 TB disks in RAID 1.

My plan is to do a clean install of Windows Server 2019 on a new SSD, but keep the current install on the RAID, so I can boot into 2008 R2 later if needed.

Before getting started I have a few questions that I was hoping you guys could help me clear up... :)

For starters, the server needs a bit of love in regards to firmware, drivers, bios etc.

So what needs to be upgraded before putting in the new SSD and installing Server 2019 (I'd love links!). :)

Is it possible to use Intelligent Provisioning for Server 2019 or should I start with Server 2016 and do an in-place upgrade to 2019 afterwards?

If there's tips and tricks you think I might need, please feel free to fire away!

Hope you guys can help me... :) 

SimonHind

you cant do a clean install of Server 2019, 1st you need to install Server 2016, then upgrade to 2019, iLO does not support 2019 yet

PEte_79

I have done several clean installs of Server 2019. With bootable USB key.

Osozu
you cant do a clean install of Server 2019, 1st you need to install Server 2016, then upgrade to 2019, iLO does not support 2019 yet

Ilo 4 is supported with server 2019

Jason

Is there an Essentials 2019 SKU?

RobWu

What immediate pro's would upgrading to 2019 have, coming from a previous older OS build?
I'm running 2012R2 atm, and see no immediate reason to upgrade.

rob

• Like 1