RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Untangle First Time User

Dave

Ok RESET Forums.  You win.  I'm officially trying out Untangle.  I've loaded it up on a box. It is running and in production.  WAN/LAN are good. DHCP is good. Whole house is chugging right along like nothing happened.  I hope.

I just logged in and it asked if I wanted to install ALL the apps and I did. I probably should have read about that first but there are now a crap ton of features/apps available to me.

What do I do next?

schoondoggy

Start looking at reports. Usually, everything comes up fine out of the box. Did you have any special network configuration for gaming?

Dave

I let it run for a few hours and now have a nice healthy looking dashboard. Plenty of data to look through!  I don't have anything setup special right now.  The only thing I used to do is prioritize traffic to the Fire TV and my Pixel 3 XL.  I'm digging around "Bandwidth Control" right now.  Is that what you are talking about?  Am I supposed to let the 11 yr old have good bandwidth to the xBox One? 

Right when I was typing this out, the connection went down. One reason I'm swapping routers. Not sure what happened but spent an hour with xfinity with no real solution.  Somehow in the middle of it all the wan and lan ports got swapped around. It was very odd as I never went into interface config. Very odd. So, had to go back to old router.  Will try again next week when the house is empty.

Dave

Have to put this project on hold for a few days. Our cable is kind of nuts right now. Connection is good but loses layer 3 so nothing crosses their gateway. Then my network flips out and everything is useless. Called Xfinity and they "changed some settings" on my modem. ??? I own the thing so that's curious. Seemed fine but did it again 12 hours later. I have an appointment with them next week because speed is 1/3 of what I should be getting so hopefully it will all be worked out.
Regardless, I'm impressed with untangle so far. I'll probably get the home license and do a mod on my hardware for a YouTube video.
I'm still interested in how you guys use yours. Also, if you have any methods for family profiles, etc.

Jason

I love Untangle. Switched from Sophia UTM way back when (lost track of time). Mainly use IPS, tunnel VPN, Adblock, OpenVPN and Tunnel VPN. Have not attempted any sort of users of family profiles of any kind.

• Like 1

Jason

Am about to setup pi-hole in front of Untangle with DNS over HTTPS (DoH). Will see how that goes.

oj88

I'm probably going to be stuck with Untangle until something better comes along. It's just so easy to do forensic who/what/where network stuff.

Dave

I'm back on Untangle.  First the update.  I had the cable company out and then replaced the line from the street to the side of the house.  I now get my advertised speeds which is nice and I hope that this corrects the loss of signal I have been experiencing.  Even though the past 24 hours were without interruption.

During the work on the cable the Synology RT2600ac was acting funny. Much like it was the past week however, I thought this was due to the cable company issues.  I could hook a laptop up to the cable modem and it would pull an address and speed test as advertised. If i put the Synology on the line it would just sit there and never pull an address. Two restarts, nogo. Bounced the port with the cable company, nogo. Tech is like, your router is AFU so he bails. I'm comfortable with that because I have a fresh install of Untangle waiting as I reinstalled it on a 120Gb SSD yesterday. Did the final portion of the install and it sat there waiting for an IP address. Nogo. Would not pull it!  I bounced the port manually with the xfinity website troubleshooting page and then restarted Untangle. Everything pops up good to go. 

Seems I have a picky port with cable co. and I have a picky Synology router.

Reminds me of an update to the RT2600ac where the "known issues" with the update was a bug that caused the router to take 45 minutes to do DHCP on the wan port. Makes me a little nervous about it.  

I'm going to run untangle for a while and get used to it and report back. Off to take a look at the apps it installed!

oj88

Could your telco have a rather sticky DHCP server? It learns and remembers the MAC address of the first device you connect to it and refuses to let go until a certain TTL runs out.

I've had something similar happen to me a long time ago. It was a DSL connection and the only way to work around it was to spoof the old MAC address or call up the telco and have them reset the line.

Before I knew all that, it got very infuriating, not knowing why the telco-side DHCP wouldn't issue an IP address to a device other than the original router.

Edited by oj88