RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Netamego

4 x 3 TB SAS HDs in N36L possible?

Netamego

Hi,

It's possible to use four sas HDs (raid 1) in a N36L?. N36L have SAS connector in motherboard so i don't know if is really necesary a SAS controller. If is necesary a SAS controller what is my best bet?. I am interested in the cheapest that supports 3 TB disks. Maybe LSI 9207 or HP P410?, are both supported in N36L?.  Sas HDs are Segate Constellation ES.2 3 TB at 7200 RPM. I want to use N36L as a NAS with freenas. Any other recommendation than freenas?.

Thank you very much for your help. I am very lost.

schoondoggy

You would need to add a SAS HBA or controller to use SAS drives. Last I checked FreeNAS does not like RAID controllers. Most users run a HBA so the drives are JBOD and let FreeNAS handle RAID.

Netamego

Thank you. And what about LSI 9207 or HP P410?. Are both compatible with N36L and support 3 TB HDs?. Someone with similar configuration?.

Thanks a lot.

schoondoggy

Both are compatible with the N36l, but I do not think there are drivers in FreeNAS for the P410. The 9207 could be converted to a HBA. If you want to use the 9207 as a RAID card you would need to check to see if FreeNAS supports it.