RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
nrf

poe approaches / injection versus poe switch

nrf

I am starting to accumulate POE cameras. I set up the first one with an injector, but have been looking at POE switches. Being extremely cheap   :)  , I couldn't help but notice that I could power 12 of them with a refurbished procurve switch - 12 ports / $39.95, it comes out to $3.33 per per camera. Is there a down side to these anchors over more expensive but simpler POE switches coming out these days?

the switch I am looking at fits into my distribution plan pretty well and improves my uplink to gigabit, so I may just jump on it anyway.

any experiences out that to share? I only need the 15 watt POE level anyway...

Edited by nrf

schoondoggy

Used Aruba S2500 switches give you a lot of feature and function for the money. The POE versions, S2500-24P and S2500-48P, support 802.11af and 802.11at. Both models include four 10GbE SFP+ ports. There are several threads on using them in the home. The 48P sells on eBay for around $100. The 24P was around $75 but they seem to be around $100 as well. Not as cheap as the ProCurve, but 48 ports could be an easy way to consolidate switches if you are running multiple switches.

• Like 1

nrf

seems you are ok with the big iron. in my case it is in a remote location from my main switch. if you look at how much these switches used to cost when new it is an amazing drop in prices.

schoondoggy
I love lurking these conversations.  Nice find [mention=3464]schoondoggy[/mention]  The Aruba switch is a monster POE box with 10Gb SFP! 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aruba-Networks-S2500-48T-4x10G-Mobility-Access-Switch-10-100-1000-48-Ports/273680446993?hash=item3fb8a03611:g:pKEAAOSwR6Bb0icg:rk:2:pf:0

The switch in your link is a 48t non-POE version. I am betting they would take $75 for it and it would make a great lab switch. Here is a POE version:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aruba-S2500-48P-US-48-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Mobility-Access-Switch/323484243808?hash=item4b5129d760:g:rLoAAOSwu3dbtSUv

Dave
nrf

my $40 one was here, vendor is pitching on newegg as well. it has 12 poe ports and 12 non-poe + 2gig ports and 2 optical ports. more than enough for my needs. some of the links above look good too.

cheers!

Edited by nrf
  • Like 1

Dave

Very nice.  You guys are starting to make me think a little bit.  I like the 10Gb ports on that one switch.  I'm thinking that I could create a 10Gb backbone in my house as well as put a server on 10 with one of those inexpensive QNAP cards.  Otherwise, at this price NRF I could put two POE switches in two different locations to serve up power to both cameras and Ubiquiti access points.

nrf

cool. be sure to check the poe specs on the devices -vs- the switch you are going to choose. (I probably didn't need to say that but...)

Edited by nrf

schoondoggy
6 hours ago, Dave said:

Very nice.  You guys are starting to make me think a little bit.  I like the 10Gb ports on that one switch.  I'm thinking that I could create a 10Gb backbone in my house as well as put a server on 10 with one of those inexpensive QNAP cards.  Otherwise, at this price NRF I could put two POE switches in two different locations to serve up power to both cameras and Ubiquiti access points.

By backbone, are you thinking about two or more switches connected via 10GbE? How far apart would the switches be? You could use SFP+ optics and fiber to interconnect switches and DCC for server to switch connections. For servers or PC, these work well. They can be as low as $25, but this one includes a SFP+ for $39.99:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mellanox-MCX311A-XCAT-10-PCIe-Adapter-Card-ConnectX-3-CX311A-w-10-GBE-SFP/322683902048?epid=16007919727&hash=item4b21759860:g:4esAAOSwNDJaYZ5B:rk:7:pf:0

15M OM3 cable for $15:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiber-Optic-LC-LC-Patch-Cable-15m-Duplex-Multimode-LC-LC-15-METERS-50-125-10G/264136035719

2M DAC cable $8:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Optech-10GbE-Direct-Attach-Passive-Copper-Cable-2M-10G-SFP-DAC-Twinaxial-Cable/173365913660?hash=item285d69e83c:g:PQcAAOSw3bxbI2Ay:rk:1:pf:0

DAC cables and SFP+ transceivers can have compatibility issues between switches and NIC's. Good to do some research before buying.