RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
stigzler

Upgrading from WHS2011?

Al_Borges
Thank u all for quick replies.
Unfortanetly I can only get server 2019 Essentials for free.
The actual backup function of computers i've come to not use much at all over the years. Once a hard drive dies, it s about time to do a Clean install anyway

Most important is Plex as media server and as a file server.

All the stuff u guys write about Active directory and virtual Machines... Sorry, but my knowledge is zero there.

Regarding hardware, my current machine has this CPU: AMD Black Edition, Phenom II X2 555 3.2GHz-Socket AM3-L3 6MB 
Do u need more info about hardware?

Thanks for your support, i really appreciate it
This was the same hardware that powered my last WHS2011 server around 6 or so years ago

This hardware is close to 10 years old. Do you really want to put the time and effort to learn and get server 2019 running on it?

If your current whs2011 machine is still functioning, then continue to use it as a plex server/file server. Set up file shares the traditional way and not install the whs connectors

There are plenty of apps available for file syncing and backup

If you need to go away from whs2011, then there are several free or low cost alternatives like freenas, openmedia vault or unraid. There is a forum subsection on this with tons of info

You could also see if you could get windows 10 on it. Might even still be able to upgrade for free

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/
  • Like 1

oj88

My WHS2011 still works, but there are caveats:

1. I find it necessary to reboot maybe once a week. Otherwise, any number of strange things starts to happen

2. It's no longer getting critical security updates

3. 8GB RAM limit

4. The client backup stopped working ages ago

Novalucol

Unfortunatly my choice is WS2019 for free or I'll need to pay .

I know it's old harware, and I am thinking about not changing anything and just keep going, as long as it works. Because right now it more or less fulfills all my whishes. It's just a bit of worry that MS no longer update WHS2011. Other options are buying all new hardware, but I'm not keen on putting all that cash on a new server since the functions I need are quite minimal.

Like oj88 said

2 hours ago, oj88 said:

My WHS2011 still works, but there are caveats:

1. I find it necessary to reboot maybe once a week. Otherwise, any number of strange things starts to happen

2. It's no longer getting critical security updates

3. 8GB RAM limit

4. The client backup stopped working ages ago

I was thinking about a strong NAS, but not sure they can handle multiple transcoding in Plex media server.

Trig0r

Personally, I'd go the 2019 route, Hyper-V, and then go from there..

YMMV..

Novalucol
1 hour ago, Trig0r said:

Personally, I'd go the 2019 route, Hyper-V, and then go from there..

YMMV..

Googling Hyper-V 😉