RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 119, CES 2011 Wrap up and interviews

Dave

Machine guns, hard drives, tablets, and lost luggage. It can only be CES 2011! Here is a marathon podcast covering CES. I’m joined by Jim Collison and Chris Lux for episode 119 of the Home Server Show and there is a little bit of everything in this one. We go over all we saw and didn’t see at CES and there is plenty of talk about storage but very little talk about WHS. It seemed like all the WHS talk was not at the show this year and we barely had time to cover those items before recording this. Never fear, we have interviews with Drobo, Microsoft, and the CEO of Eye-Fi in this one for you. Check the links below to see Dave firing an M16 at an ioSafe drive too! We also go over tons of product so enjoy and see you in the forums.

Some topics we covered:

Windows Live Domains Temporary Outage

Windows Home Server via Windows Phone 7

Synology

Drobo

Eye-Fi Direct Mode

PopDrive

Raidon

ioSafe Rugged Portable

The ioSafe Rugged Portable vs. a shotgun and M-16 View the YouTube video. Nick Barber did a great job on the video. (you can see me squeeze off a few rounds with the M16 at the 2:00 minute mark.)

Let me know what you thought of this marathon podcast. That is if you are finished listening! There was an out-take at the end too!

I can't wait to see the review on the Boxee Box from the WHS user perspective. Please test it streaming mt2s and mts files. Also, check to see if it can handle more than 40,000 kbps.

Of course DVD iso and BD iso would be nice as well. Especially if it supported ff and rewind.

I'm glad you guys got the opportunity to go and share some of your insights on the products you saw. I watched each and every video that was being shot with and by you guys. Koodos (koodoes? coodos? whatever) goes to you guys willing to put stuff out there and some of the live stuff was just too much to bear. Several times my boss was asking me why I was laughing. I was also suprised at some of the quality that was being transmitted. Sure it was 1080p, but so what? I didn't expect to see great resolution based on the assumption that the bandwidth would be flooded with folks blogging, surfing and playing Farmville. (I think Cityscape is the new farmville) The highlight for me was you guys talking to the CEO of Eye-fi. He was spot on with the answers and didn't push a PR guy to the mic, very professional of him IMO.

I too am looking forward to the Boxee Box getting a workout. I wasn't suprised at a lack of WHS news from CES nor was I impressed with Mr Balmer's keynote-but that's for a different topic. Great job once again on another successful Podcast!

Took me 3 car rides to finish it. Great stuff though. Very well done with the coordination and everything. It came across very professionally.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't wait for a hands on evaluation of the Synology product. Another podcast gave it high

marks and a lot faster data transfer rates (5X) than the Drobo.