RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

The official Help @richardgunther choose a new NAS thread

rgunther

Well, folks...I have good news that may likely disappoint many of you. The TL;DR version is that Drobo replaced my long-out-of-warranty 5N at no cost! Apparently their latest firmware update bricked the device. I've started seeing more posts about this on forums recently. So even though I'd modded the box (!) with a replacement fan and power supply, they still replaced it in kind (no 5N2, though...it's still first gen). This isn't exactly the result I expected, so now I have to figure out an expansion plan. It's my understanding that I'll need to offload all my content and reformat to increase the capacity of the drive, so that's probably going to be my next step.

Nonetheless, I am so appreciative to all of you for the advice and guidance on this project over the past few weeks. Thank you so much for your support. This community rocks!

Screenshot 2019-04-08 21.15.36.png

JackoUK

"Well, folks...I have good news that may likely disappoint many of you. The TL;DR version is that Drobo replaced my long-out-of-warranty 5N at no cost!"
I am happy for you: DROBO marketing decided it was in their interest to give an enthusiast site administrator a freebie.
Doesn't work for us plebs though.

"Apparently their latest firmware update bricked the device. I've started seeing more posts about this on forums recently."
Establishing that all your data still resides on an insecure device.

"So even though I'd modded the box (!) with a replacement fan and power supply, they still replaced it in kind (no 5N2, though...it's still first gen)."
Guess DROBO had a few bits of old stock they wanted rid of.

"This isn't exactly the result I expected, so now I have to figure out an expansion plan. It's my understanding that I'll need to offload all my content and reformat to increase the capacity of the drive, so that's probably going to be my next step."
That's not my understanding  ... and it would not be my next step.
I stand to be corrected but I thought one of the features of the 5N allowed you to replace disks on the fly?
So you could progressively replace say 5x4TB with 5x8TB and data reconstruction would be done automatically.
Given that the DROBO is insecure against even a firmware update your next step is surely to create a backup of the entire box.
You don't so much need to offload the data for reformatting - you need a permanent second copy.
If the 5N does allow disk replacement, one option would be to replace 5x4TB with 5x8TB ... and then use the now spare 4TB in an 8+ disk new machine.
Since you were resigned to replacing the faulty DROBO you have plenty of money for this, right?
Indeed you have been lucky: the rest of us on HSS learnt this lesson after losing all our data 😞

"Nonetheless, I am so appreciative to all of you for the advice and guidance on this project over the past few weeks. Thank you so much for your support. This community rocks!"
You're welcome ... but we don't rock unless you are persuaded to create a full backup. 

JackoUK

Just to puncture the illusion of invincibility, here are a few disasters:

- in my teens an electrical fault under the floorboards started a fire in my bedroom, destroying everything

- in my 30's my flat was burgled by professionals: all electronic equipment was stolen and never recovered

- in my 40's I forgot to turn the water off whilst on XMAS holiday: a burst pipe in the loft filled the ceiling with water; when it eventually collapsed everything in the bungalow below was destroyed and then drenched in water for 3 days before the fire brigade came

- if I don't get round to writing my will all the data on my servers will be inaccessible since the passwords will die with me

Insurance premiums sound like good value to me!

MTBF = about 15 years

• Thanks 1

Trig0r

Even considered just living off the grid, in a tent?

• Haha 1

rgunther
4 hours ago, JackoUK said:

If the 5N does allow disk replacement,

To clarify, the 5N absolutely allows disk replacement, but you still hit up against a size limit on the boxes with the older processors. As I understand it, you need to restart with a larger target max size, then reload. I obviously need to do some more research there.

And your backup idea is a good one, but I have a hard time justifying the expense of a backup for what is inherently already a backup of my media. It would definitely save me time, though, if I ever had to rebuild.