RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

The official Help @richardgunther choose a new NAS thread

schoondoggy

The easiest path would be for Richard to buy another Drobo, move his disks and he would be up and running. Not sure why he thinks there would be a data recovery charge. From his tone he is displeased with Drobo, but perhaps trusting a physical compromised device was not a good idea.
If he is looking to reengineer his storage/video system we would need a good deal more information. As far as Plex on NAS devices, most are under powered.

Dave

Agree Schoon.  I think I would have been shopping for a new storage method after getting the Drobo back up the first time.  If he want's to give them more money that would be the best way out. Hopefully he has a copy of all the important data offsite somewhere. He may be better suited in splitting the workload to two boxes.  One Plex server and one data box like the Drobo.  Probably time for some follow up with him.

schoondoggy

I think it would be a great Reset interview to have you ask Richard what his wants and needs are, then have the forum give him ideas.

ShadowPeo

I agree @Dave, the workload should be split up. I would be going Synology (assuming no workloads on NAS) and a PC of choice for Plex itself

rgunther
On 1/30/2019 at 1:46 AM, ShadowPeo said:

I would like more information

My movie archive was about 14TB, and I expect that to grow easily past 20TB, now that all my new movies are 4K. I have five 4 and 6TB WD Reds in my now-dormant Drobo, so I'm not worried about storage capacity at this point, but I want to ensure I can continue to expand by swapping in larger drives, if that's even possible in non-Drobo storage solutions.

It would be nice if it could also run Plex, but I currently have a separate mini box dedicated to running the server.

ShadowPeo

@rgunther Ok that narrows things down a little. with the Synology devices you most certainly can swap out smaller disks for larger ones when utilising SHR (as against RAID) with their RAID implementation you can only add disks for the same size later down the track, if you add larger you will not get that capacity added on until all disks are that size or larger (smallest disk determines size) at least I believe, I have not personally tried this. I just kept adding 8TB disks. 

Now as I said the Synology devices are not the best for running Plex especially if doing transcoding. I currently have this set up myself but cannot transcode and send the 4K stuff to the Apple TV's (I actually sent you guys an email about this probably 6 months ago about keeping to MKV or Remuxing to MP4) so I am putting in a server to handle it, or rather slicing off the capacity of one go my servers to do so when the new ones are purchased at the end of this year.

QNAP on the other hand as they have offerings with i series processors should be able to to handle transcoding a hell of a lot better, but I honestly do not know, nor do I know much about their RAID implementation as I personally have not used their devices. Hopefully someone with experience with the QNAP's will chime in.

Justin