RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

The official Help @richardgunther choose a new NAS thread

Dave

Richard has Zero Terabytes!  I was listening to one of my favorite podcasts and heard my name called out not once, but twice!  And yes Josh and Richard, if you are not crashing your drone, you aren't flying hard enough!  The callout that caught my attention though, was Richard's NAS giving up the ghost a second time.  I have mixed feelings on getting it repaired although I think getting it fixed and then transferring the data off of it would be a good investment.  I would most certainly get something new that fits your lifestyle, upgrade your storage, and re-evaluate your backup strategy.  I personally set aside a few old spinner drives with my DVD library on them.  They are just sitting in a closet right now.

I would then probably look at a QNAP.  These in particular.  https://www.qnap.com/static/landing/perfect_combo/index.html  If you want a NAS and a psuedo direct attach these are the ones. Otherwise, if you just want direct attach I was talking about those on my last show.  

https://reset.fm/57 . They only direct attach.  There is no networking on them at all.  I think they are available in EU but not yet here. I'll dig into that more.

QNAP also has great hardware for Plex.  https://www.qnap.com/solution/plex-best-nas/en-us/  They use Core i processors to pump out the streams.

There are so many ways to do this so I'll leave it up to RESET Forums to help out.  Let's go forums, listen here first, https://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/2019/01/24/entertainment-2-0-473-zero-terabytes/ then leave your comments below.  Which box would you choose for Richard? QNAP, Synology, Drobo, ASUS, home build?

ShadowPeo

I would like more information, but if I were going to run the Plex instance directly on the NAS the QNAP would be my choice as, as @Dave said they have the Core I series processors which the Synology does not. If not I would go with Synology but that is more due to that being what I am more familiar with than anything else.

How much Data on how many drives, what is the predicted data growth, what is the expected lifespan of the system and what is the budget would be all things I would want to know before venturing into recommending a specific model. I do recall him mentioning that it is in a closet which means the rack mount is not required but beyond that, I would want more info

GavinCampbell

Watching this closely.  My neighbor has about 7TB of home photo's/videos scattered across multiple drives sitting on her desk and has come to me to help get her organized and backed up online.  I'm currently recommending backblaze as the online backup but not sure what to do for the home storage.  I'm thinking of putting some direct attached storage to her macand using backblaze to back it up at night and she can still work on her photo's as needed.  That qnap looks like a possibility.

Personally I have a custom windows build with drivepool and hyper-v installed but its mainly because I have a lot of things running on it.  The maintenance of it is an added factor.  Every month I patch, and then fix what the patch broke.  I've also been reading up on unraid thanks to @WiegerTech.  Most of my apps have dockers and I can run a vm for custom things.  This looks very interesting.

Dave

I know Unraid and freenas sounds sexy when folks talk about it and I know Windows 10 can be a PITA but there isn't anything I trust more than Stablebit.  http://stablebit.com/resetpodcast . (affiliate link) 

You can literally take the hard drives from your StableBit computer and put them in any Windows OS and reload StableBit and recover your data.  Not to mention the protections the software has for HDD failure itself.  This saved my butt once due to my mistakes. No RAID rebuilds, no turn it on a pray. It is great software and coupled with Scanner and CloudDrive it's awesome.  

Now, back to Richard.  Did he mention what provider he is going with to DVR things? I know he retired MediaCenter but how is he getting his locals? HDHR and what? Plex?  A direct attach QNAP may serve him well but there is something to be said for not having to change HDMI inputs on your TV. That has been the best thing ever for my family and our move to the Fire TV Box, or whatever it is called.  It powers on my TV and soundbar. One little remote does it all and we can get to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and our content on the Plex server.  We still have shows recorded over there and all of the family movies and stuff are on Plex.  I think I still have it connected to my 2 channel HDHR recording a few local things.  Probably should turn that off! A good backup system though.

schoondoggy
8 hours ago, GavinCampbell said:

Watching this closely.  My neighbor has about 7TB of home photo's/videos scattered across multiple drives sitting on her desk and has come to me to help get her organized and backed up online.  I'm currently recommending backblaze as the online backup but not sure what to do for the home storage.  I'm thinking of putting some direct attached storage to her macand using backblaze to back it up at night and she can still work on her photo's as needed.  That qnap looks like a possibility.

Personally I have a custom windows build with drivepool and hyper-v installed but its mainly because I have a lot of things running on it.  The maintenance of it is an added factor.  Every month I patch, and then fix what the patch broke.  I've also been reading up on unraid thanks to @WiegerTech.  Most of my apps have dockers and I can run a vm for custom things.  This looks very interesting.

I have several storage options at home, but for easy of use I still really like Drobo. When you mention photo's, Mac and direct attached that is Drobo's sweet spot. The only issue with my Drobo 5N is a lack of supported off site choices, but if you are going direct attach the Mac can handle the offsite. For your neighbor's needs I would look at Drobo 5C or 5D3:

https://www.drobo.com/storage-products/

JackoUK

Gauntlet picked up. I agree that 0TB is not enough data!! Received wisdom on HSS being ‘you always need twice as much storage as you currently have’, so 2x0TB =20TB it is.

1.       Since Richard by his own admission has ‘not really got into all that stuff [home storage]’ then some form of NAS would keep him in his digital media comfort zone (comfort zone – get it       😞:there is no denying the convenience of such devices or that we all have a degree of inertia …

2.       … until of course we have a problem which leaves us up the creek. Sounds like another DROBO will be bottom of the list, given recent experience!

3.       The system described appears to be: a (lightweight?) machine acting as a PLEX server; 20TB of direct-attached storage on a DROBO box; a Mac-mini running Windows 7 playing video through good old (but now obsolete) Windows Media Center (WMC). A franken-network if ever I saw one: sounds like a vegan ordering surf-and-turf from the menu.

4.       First thought. One concept which NASDAQ:MSFT in its new forced, frequent updating process for Windows 10 has abandoned is the appliance. Here we have an application (WMC) which is still fit-for-purpose but is itself deprecated and only supported in a soon-to-be deprecated OS. How about wrapping Windows 7/WMC in a virtual machine/container and otherwise isolating it from the nasty, irrelevant outside world? No updates required … or wanted, possibly compromising security. OK, potential licensing issues there: but is that W7 license on the Mac-mini retail – in which case the EULA will say it can be reparented (into a VM)! Perversely I would enjoy ringing the MSFT telephone licensing team to get such a VM activated, despite entering a hideously long code. Moi, spiteful?

5.       Since the Mac-mini has been repurposed as a tolerable Windows 10 desktop device (guys, there must have been a less expensive way to build a Windows 7 machine for playing videos than purchasing NASDAQ:APPL equipment ) and DMZ is a prosumer site I am going to assume a Windows 10 solution is worthy of consideration (call me Dave’s PITA).

6.       Of course       😉 you build your own W10 machine(s) … or modify the configuration of some older stock which an OEM is virtually giving away. Since Windows 8 we have had the benefit of SMB multichannel for shared folders across a network: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/josebda/2012/06/28/the-basics-of-smb-multichannel-a-feature-of-windows-server-2012-and-smb-3-0/ .

7.       While it would be preferable to examine the existing PLEX server, the DROBO and the old Mac-mini (and likely other devices) as a networked system … what about just replacing the DROBO with a DAS offering? HP Microserver Gen 10 (and look at the 2nd hand market for old Gen 8 machines) with the included OS, or replace with W10Pro (for maintenance via Remote Desktop). Since there is no description of a backup process … pay the $100 to repair the crumby DROBO and buy an HP Microserver; how much would 900 movies cost to replace?

8.       Having said that, I think Dave’s idea of consigning the bulk of the movie collection to single-source, cold-storage is worth serious contemplation. Suppose over the next 10 years you only ever looked at 20 of those old movies … but the disk had failed when you checked. If they are classics it wouldn’t cost that much to repurchase those desirable few. For family and other precious material three copies might be more appropriate (local, backup, cloud).

NAS? Underpowered CPU, inflexible configuration, expensive. Convenient.

Edited by JackoUK

JackoUK

So Schoondoggy suggests a DROBO 5D3 with lovely Thunderbolt ports at no little extra cost.

What are those ports going to be connected to?

Nothing in the current DMZ home set up!

And what network bandwidth do we need for playing video?

15Mbs according to Netflix 4K playback over the internet.

Any old wireless connection will be good enough!

The thing is switching up to 10GbE affects all (well all key) machines in the network.

Good idea of course to prepare for the future … that's what I had in mind here:

JackoUK

For Gavin helping out his neighbour:

- add an external 8TB USB 3.0 disk for backup

- buy two such disks  and take one to an off-site location

Backblaze sounds like a good option too instead of one of the externals.

And when expanding to 16TB … surely there are there enough USB ports for 2 external 8TB USB drives at once?

Note '8TB external' is pretty much the cheapest as I write.

If there are at least a few drive bays in the main system then the usual OS on an SSD and 2 x 8TB HDD's will be good.

Another option I have found useful over the years is a dock for external bare drives. Then you can swap multiple HDD's in and out during backup processes.

Edited by JackoUK

JackoUK

For Josh and Richard at DMZ wondering about Chromecast Audio's demise ...

… I believe I have audio on Windows 10 nailed down.

No, really: I think I can play anything from MP3 to DSD bit-perfect on any top-end hi-fi rig via Windows 10 on a $70 2nd hand tablet.

Guess that's one for a private email.

I'd like to have a similar complete solution for 4K video … but have not investigated the same yet.

What's wrong with PLEX as the (meta)data server and VLC as the player on a cheap streamer device?

Edited by JackoUK

schoondoggy
So Schoondoggy suggests a DROBO 5D3 with lovely Thunderbolt ports at no little extra cost.
What are those ports going to be connected to?
Nothing in the current DMZ home set up!

And what network bandwidth do we need for playing video?
15Mbs according to Netflix 4K playback over the internet.
Any old wireless connection will be good enough!

The thing is switching up to 10GbE affects all (well all key) machines in the network.
Good idea of course to prepare for the future … that's what I had in mind here:
I was replying to Gavin's post about his neighbors setup.