RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rodf

Synology RT2600ac router and printers

Rodf

This past week, at the recommendation of both @Dave and @itGeeks, I've gotten a Synology RT2600ac router and put it in. Man, does that booger have a lot of features! One of the last things I connected to it was my Epson WF-3540 printer. I simply connected it via Wi-Fi, as I had with the older NETGEAR router I previously had. Whenever anyone wants to print to it, they've installed the driver onto the device they're using. So, I was poking around the RT2600ac's Synology Router Manager, noticing that it talks about setting up a network printer. It looks like a separate thing from what I've done. Like the router itself handles the print queue, etc. I've assumed, since I got the Epson printer some years back, that it managed its queue by itself.

So, what I'm wondering is this, is there some advantage to setting up the printer as a network printer, through the RT2600ac apart from just letting the printer handle itself?

cskenney

A bit of speculation here but I think the Synology network printer function is to share USB printers connected to the device.  If you have a network connected printer I am not sure why you would need to let the Synology take over this function.  

• Thanks 1

Dave

Congrats on your new router. Have you ventured into the mobile app or Safe Access settings?

• Like 1

Rodf

Hi Dave,

As to the mobile app, no. I'm still using a Lumia 950. I just can't afford to move to Android, unless I get some ultra cheap, throwaway phone. I don't want to do that. Certainly Samsung's Note 9 is as out of reach to me as the dark side of the moon.

I don't even know what Safe Access is. Guess I'll have to look into that.