RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Richardracer

Installing drivers from SPP ISO

Richardracer

Good afternoon,

Newbie here, so please be gentle with me!

I have an 18 month old Gen8 server bought new but now out of warranty, so limited access to HPE updates.  My Gen8 has 8Gb memory, Recently added Xeon 1220v2, standard disk controller (122i ) and 4 off 3.5” drives giving 6Tb of storage under storage spaces.  OS on SATA HDD  sitting in ODD space as recommended on here.  I was running Win10 Pro, but after upgrading processor and trying to update drivers with Intelligent Provisioning, I fell foul of the expired warranty.  I also lost my printer driver for HP laser jet and my sound drivers (usb connected sound card).

To cut a long and painful journey a bit shorter, I am re-installing Win10 Pro from DVD, with licence key under IP.  My question as someone without warranty, but with a copy of the SPP download (ISO?), how do I install the various drivers needed from the SPP and do I need to update the firmware for the Xeon processor, if so how?  I read on here that the original 2014 J06 firmware does not have a thermal solution for Xeon processor and ILO shows high temps for some components.

I am reasonable knowledgeable in Windows of old and have Rufus to create bootable usb sticks, but unsure how to get from SPP ISO image as downloaded (871795_001_spp-2017.04.0-SPP2017040.2017_0420.14).

Any help from experienced gurus much appreciated!

regards

Richardracer.

netware5

I can help you only with BIOS an iLO update as I am not runnig Windows on my MS Gen8.

Download the updates from HPE website as follows:

BIOS (firmware) update here

iLO update here

You don't need working warranty agreement to download these.

You will be able to flash both updates without running Windows on the server and without need to make bootable USB. You will need just any Windows or Linux PC with network connection to the server's iLO.

For iLO: Just follow the second option in instalaltion instructions (extraction of iLO4_yyy.bin  and flashing it by iLO)

For BIOS: The .exe file you downloaded is in fact zip archive. Open it with 7zip or any other zip utility and extract the file CPQJ0613.4B5. Then flash it by iLO.

Edited by netware5

canuckcam

Part of my post on another thread (https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/16855-firmware-updates/?tab=comments#comment-148275

You can download the updates individually. Otherwise, use the SPP 8.1 ISO. I don't know whether Windows Server-destined updates work in Win10 Pro. Only hiccup I've had with WS2019 is that without the updated Matrox graphics drivers, the machine would not wake up from sleep.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home/driverHome?sp4ts.oid=5390291

My own notes have my server at the following, running Windows Server 2019 Standard. I don't have any "entitlement" but I've been able to download all these updates.

Firmware:

• BIOS: J06 (May 21, 2018)

• iLo: v2.61 (July 27, 2018)

• Intelligent Provisioning: v1.64.0.0 (March 2, 2017)

• RAID Controller HP B120i: v3.54.0

• RAID Controller HP P222: v8.32c (Nov 27, 2018)

• SATA Controller: v0.84

Drivers:

• Matrox G200eH Video: v9.15.218 (Nov 27, 2018)

• SAS/SATA Event Notification Service: v.6.46.0.64 (Oct 24, 2016)

• iLO4 Channel Interface Driver: v3.31.0.0 (Jun 26, 2018)

Edited by canuckcam

Richardracer

Thank you both.  Will try your suggestions over weekend.

richardracer

Richardracer

Hi to all on this forum,

Based on your advice and much reading of what others have done, I now have a working MS Gen8 running Win10 Pro and teh latest software/firmware with ILO access from my couch!

Once I got Windows installed (not through IP which loses the key code for Windows 10 and bombs out of the install) and updated the array drivers, I could start windows and use the HPE site to extract the latest drivers running each Windows Server 2016 (AKA Win 10 Pro) drivers (48 off).  Those not needed were flagged up as such and not installed.

I now have a JO6 version from 2018 and my other software now looks like this.

image.thumb.png.b24ee69514239b93a836f8273965a51c.png

image.png.47106a7f485c068aebc238595746b5a5.png

Again, thanks to all for the information on this site.

Regards

Richardracer