RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Richardracer

Installing drivers from SPP ISO

Richardracer

Good afternoon,

Newbie here, so please be gentle with me!

I have an 18 month old Gen8 server bought new but now out of warranty, so limited access to HPE updates.  My Gen8 has 8Gb memory, Recently added Xeon 1220v2, standard disk controller (122i ) and 4 off 3.5” drives giving 6Tb of storage under storage spaces.  OS on SATA HDD  sitting in ODD space as recommended on here.  I was running Win10 Pro, but after upgrading processor and trying to update drivers with Intelligent Provisioning, I fell foul of the expired warranty.  I also lost my printer driver for HP laser jet and my sound drivers (usb connected sound card).

To cut a long and painful journey a bit shorter, I am re-installing Win10 Pro from DVD, with licence key under IP.  My question as someone without warranty, but with a copy of the SPP download (ISO?), how do I install the various drivers needed from the SPP and do I need to update the firmware for the Xeon processor, if so how?  I read on here that the original 2014 J06 firmware does not have a thermal solution for Xeon processor and ILO shows high temps for some components.

I am reasonable knowledgeable in Windows of old and have Rufus to create bootable usb sticks, but unsure how to get from SPP ISO image as downloaded (871795_001_spp-2017.04.0-SPP2017040.2017_0420.14).

Any help from experienced gurus much appreciated!

regards

Richardracer.

netware5

I can help you only with BIOS an iLO update as I am not runnig Windows on my MS Gen8.

Download the updates from HPE website as follows:

BIOS (firmware) update here

iLO update here

You don't need working warranty agreement to download these.

You will be able to flash both updates without running Windows on the server and without need to make bootable USB. You will need just any Windows or Linux PC with network connection to the server's iLO.

For iLO: Just follow the second option in instalaltion instructions (extraction of iLO4_yyy.bin  and flashing it by iLO)

For BIOS: The .exe file you downloaded is in fact zip archive. Open it with 7zip or any other zip utility and extract the file CPQJ0613.4B5. Then flash it by iLO.

Edited by netware5

canuckcam

Part of my post on another thread (https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/16855-firmware-updates/?tab=comments#comment-148275

You can download the updates individually. Otherwise, use the SPP 8.1 ISO. I don't know whether Windows Server-destined updates work in Win10 Pro. Only hiccup I've had with WS2019 is that without the updated Matrox graphics drivers, the machine would not wake up from sleep.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home/driverHome?sp4ts.oid=5390291

My own notes have my server at the following, running Windows Server 2019 Standard. I don't have any "entitlement" but I've been able to download all these updates.

Firmware:

• BIOS: J06 (May 21, 2018)

• iLo: v2.61 (July 27, 2018)

• Intelligent Provisioning: v1.64.0.0 (March 2, 2017)

• RAID Controller HP B120i: v3.54.0

• RAID Controller HP P222: v8.32c (Nov 27, 2018)

• SATA Controller: v0.84

Drivers:

• Matrox G200eH Video: v9.15.218 (Nov 27, 2018)

• SAS/SATA Event Notification Service: v.6.46.0.64 (Oct 24, 2016)

• iLO4 Channel Interface Driver: v3.31.0.0 (Jun 26, 2018)

Edited by canuckcam

Richardracer

Thank you both.  Will try your suggestions over weekend.

richardracer

Richardracer

Hi to all on this forum,

Based on your advice and much reading of what others have done, I now have a working MS Gen8 running Win10 Pro and teh latest software/firmware with ILO access from my couch!

Once I got Windows installed (not through IP which loses the key code for Windows 10 and bombs out of the install) and updated the array drivers, I could start windows and use the HPE site to extract the latest drivers running each Windows Server 2016 (AKA Win 10 Pro) drivers (48 off).  Those not needed were flagged up as such and not installed.

I now have a JO6 version from 2018 and my other software now looks like this.

image.thumb.png.b24ee69514239b93a836f8273965a51c.png

image.png.47106a7f485c068aebc238595746b5a5.png

Again, thanks to all for the information on this site.

Regards

Richardracer

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• AVsonyfan
      By AVsonyfan
      All credit to schoondoggy for his original idea. A shame I am on the wrong side of the Atlantic to order an SDM kit as the import duties make it an expensive option, or would have if they were still available. I had to look around to see what alternatives I could find... and managed to find the bits needed on Amazon!

I must admit I am rather pleased with the end result of this project and may repeat it on the other Gen8 MicroServer. The outcome is a server with a mirrored system drive on the internal B120i, and the main drive bays connected to an HP P222 card providing a RAID-10 data volume. This is pretty much my ideal setup for a stable resilient but small server.

Sabrent 3.5" to x2 SSD Internal Mounting Kit (BK-HDCC)
      Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/32qEVou
      Amazon US - https://amzn.to/3h8Blom
      The kit comes with all the cabling you need and all the required screws to mount the drives and bracket.
      Two types of power splitter cables are included along with two SATA cables. The bracket holds two SSDs and provides a small gap between them.

I mounted the bracket next to the PSU but leaving a 2-3mm gap to allow for some airflow past the SSDs in case they get warmed by the P222.

Tips:
      Put some insulating tape along the underneath of the upper chassis rail next to the PSU and drilled three small holes.
      I used two strips on to stop the drill bit from walking across the metal. Drill with a 2mm first then a 2.5mm bit. This leaves enough metal for screws to thread in.
      Check and measure each hole against the bracket as you go so that they line up. Bracket is then fixed in place using the provided screws (see photo).

The final part of the puzzle is another Mini-SAS to SATA cable the same as the one connected to the internal drive bays.
      This is an SFF-8087 Mini-SAS [male] connector to 4 SATA [female] header cables. The 50cm cable from Jyopto works great and not too much spare to lose within the system.
      Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/2CXAzgb
      I could not find it on Amazon US site but there was one from CableCreations that same length.

Just need to add your choice of SSDs and cable up to B120i port.  I went with Samsung 860 Pro SSDs for the longer rated lifespan of write cycles.

I decided to forget about an internal DVD/RW drive and opted for an external HP F2B56AA slimline drive that can be plugged into the USB of either system.
      Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/2EgSSxD
      Amazon US - https://amzn.to/326uFmL

Sabrent also make a really good quality 2.5" to 3.5" bay converter adapter (BK-PCBS) that I have used in the EX490/X510 to convert from HDD to SSD system drives.
      Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/3jbYBmT
      Amazon US - https://amzn.to/335kXQz

Hopefully this information will prove useful to some looking to update their MicroServer.

• E3000
      By E3000
      Does anyone know if it is possible to get Agentless Management Service (AMS) running on Debian/Ubuntu Linux? It is always showing as Not Available in the iLO page and I have only ever seen this active in Windows.
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Hey guys,

Has anyone around here been successful in setting up Proxmox on a Gen8 using a HBA for storage?
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Hey guys,

As of June 2020, what are the latest versions of firmware for HP Microserver Gen8 to be installed on the system itself? Also do any other components have updatable firmware/os-independent software?

So far my list is as follows:
      BIOS - J06 (04/04/2019) iLO 4 - v2.73 (11/02/2020) Intelligent Provisioning - v1.71 (20/02/2019)  
      and I guess the following could also be added (although both out of date):
      Smart Update Manager (HP SUM) - v8.1.0 (21/12/2017) Service Pack for ProLiant (06/11/2017)  
      Date formated as DD/MM/YYYY.

I believe all the B120i Smart Storage stuff is part of Intelligent Provisioning.
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Hey guys, 

Bit of a random question here, and I know it depends on many factors such as what they are doing etc, but how many VMs have you guys comfortably ran on Gen8 with an E3-1265v2 and 16GB RAM? When did you start to see a performance hit compared to what the Gen8 is generally capable of?