RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Just picked up a few Ubiquiti products. I'm going back in!

Dave

It has been several years since I had any Unifi gear and the gear I had was so old it didn't even really matter.  Here is what I bought to test:

Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-M-PRO-US 802.11AC AP with Plug & Play Mesh 

I got the panel which is also omnidirectional but it's a 3x3 instead of the little sticks which are a 2x2.  The panel is huge though. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 4.39.44 PM.png

Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO 802.11AC, 3x3 MIMO technology, 1300 Mbps 5 GHz POE

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 4.39.38 PM.png

I plan on speed and range testing these two pieces in a few locations of RESET HQ and hopefully that will tell me what and where I need to put things.  I need service in and outdoors and hope that this will finally be my answer.  I have a lot of square footage to cover!

I have two spots to test the panel.  I'm hoping it can help me cover an outside area where I have a lot of Ring gear and would also serve as an access point for those around the pool.  The AC Pro sounds to be just that.  An awesome device that should pump out a lot of signal. The test for me is placement.

I decided not to pick up a cloud key or any other gear at the moment.  I can bring up a Unifi Controller on a PC as a test.  I would like to have a key at some point though.  As for their firewall, I'll let you guys tell me about it.  I'm pretty happy with the Synology router right now.

Let me know what you think.

schoondoggy

As long as you are able to place them properly, I think you will like the coverage, performance and handoff.

I look forward to seeing your results.

Dave

I look forward to seeing myself. I have a few spots in mind and hope they work out. Nervous about the ceiling work but will see!

Jason

Ceiling mounted about 6 APs around our place a while back, including outdoor for same purpose. Mix of the HD for high density and AC Pro elsewhere. Wish I had done this long ago. The configurability, speed and range are unparalleled. Cloud Key recommended.

Unloaded all my Netgear Orbi year that was in service prior to UniFi.

• Like 1

schoondoggy
I look forward to seeing myself. I have a few spots in mind and hope they work out. Nervous about the ceiling work but will see!
Depending on the area I am trying to cover, mounting a WAP high on a wall can sometimes be easier, mounting a box and running cable, than ceiling mounting.
  • Like 2

Dave

The ceiling mount unit came in today.  Can't wait to fire it up but I need to do it in a planned and organized manner so I have some data points!

Dave

I couldn't wait.  But you guys knew that would happen right?

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 3.52.23 PM.png

Here it is in the air.  Simulated ceiling mount!  It's on a microphone stand that is on a high shelf so it's up in the air pretty good.  This is on the top floor, middle of the house.  Signal reaches all over the top and middle floor.  In far off spots it's not great signal but it is there.  This is all while two synology devices are blasting PLUS two Orbi units are going full blast. Not bad and I look forward to turn off those devices and just using the Synology as the router.  I'll change its SSID and turn it off and turn it back on if I need "admin" wifi in the future.

Surprisingly, everything connected to it except my new Pixel 3 XL.  It would bounce the connection and if it did connect it would be the "no internet" situation.  I tried a lot of settings on the AP itself but finally fixed it by downgrading the firmware of the AP by 2 versions.  I should probably report this to Ubiquiti but I'm now busy undoing all the settings on the AP that I tried.  I kept a log of it in OneNote though.

So far so good.  I love the Controller software updates.  It has come a long way.  I have it on a Windows PC but would like to run the dedicated controller, or cloud key, in the future.  I'm taking baby steps but will leave 1U in my rack open for that option.

USG router? I'm not sure about that option but will explore it more when I get everything settled.  I also need to try the app.

• Like 2

schoondoggy

All the cool kids are going back to Untangle Home.

Jason

I’m on Untangle Home too. Love it. Switched from Sophia UTM a while back after exceeding their IP limit. Didn’t care for Sophos XG.

Dave

I hear good things. What $50 a year for that and can do family profiles and such?  Only thing the Synology won't do is tell me when a new Mac address joins the network. That's all I'm asking for! Circle Home did that well.

Looking at Cloud Key controllers now. The app only works with one so I may get one.