RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rodf

Looking for guidance on the right NETGEAR router to get

Rodf

In a previous post I asked about my NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 router. Well, last night while watching a moving on Netflix we lost the 5GHz band again. That's 3 times we've lost it in less than a week. It's an older router (at least 4 years old), so I think it's time to replace it. And I'm partial to NETGEAR, that's the brand I want to stay with. Since we started to have this problem I've been reading up on routers. On the website Windows Central they had a run down of the Best NETGEAR Routers in 2019. That's given me a list to consider. One thing I noticed in that list is a complete lack of NETGEAR's Orbi routers. They are more expensive and I didn't know why, so I looked more into them. I see they have something called a "Mesh network", which meant nothing to me. So I looked it up and found this on How To Geek. I can really see the advantage of having a system in which each part communicates with the others and handles the network traffic all by itself, even to the point of not having to communicate with the main router to coordinate activity. And I am attracted to the idea of having to only specify one router name, rather than more than one such as I do with extenders that I've used. In my family of 6, I'm comfortable with going from one to another and changing to a different Wi-Fi endpoint, but I'm the only one who is. Having just 1 apparent endpoint is attractive, from the normal user's point of view, just let the main router and the satellite units, handling the hand-off as someone moves about the house. But I'm really puzzled by the fact that the Windows Central article didn't even mention the Orbi. Should I get an Orbi or would I be better off getting one of the routers in that Windows Central article?

itGeeks

This is an interesting topic and one that is near and dear to my heart, I thrive for the best performing network I can have. "Mesh" has its place. Why are you only looking at Netgear? Nothing wrong with them and there Orbi product is top notch and was the one to beat according to reviews last I check. Have a look at Synology RT2600ac router found here, They also have MR2200ac found here. The MR220ac can be teamed up with the RT2600ac to create a "Mesh" network or 'stand a lone' It has a lot to offer and work great and has great reviews.

I am a Synology fan boy and for good reason.

1) They have one of the nicest user interfaces.

2) they have a package center to enhance the functionality found here

3) they are always updating the OS and pushing security updates.

4) It just works.

5) Safe Access.

6) Reports

7) You can setup user profiles, By device or by user.

8 The list is just some of what you can do, There is plenty more.

If you have any questions let me know.

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 1

Dave

They probably didn't mention Orbi in that write-up because it's simply in a different category being a "mesh" system.  It all depends on how much sq ft you need to cover really and there are fans of both systems.  Netgear is known for its gaming routers which can do all sorts of tricks to reduce "ping" time for hard core gamers.  If you have multiple levels in your home you may benefit from a package of two Orbis.

Netgear also has built in family and profile options like Circle Home. Basic is free and there is a "fee" option as well. It has pro's and con's.  It's very powerful and it will cover an average house easily.  If you have dead spots you may need to pick up the RBW30 which is the wall plug outlet.  That's added cost to consider.

Tons of options with Orbi.  https://www.netgear.com/orbi/wifi-systems.aspx  Read here about the kits.

ItGeeks stated the Synology router which IMO is a fantastic solution. It is a fantastic router and the wireless output of that single device (RT2600ac) is phenomenal. I use it as a router when I'm using different mesh systems.  I always come back to the Synology device for my router of choice though. My house is difficult as I have to cover a lot of sq. ft and the 2600 plus the MR220ac still can't cover it.  I need a few more MR2200's.

Dig through some RESET podcasts. I talk wifi way too much! 

• Like 1

Rodf
2 hours ago, itGeeks said:

This is an interesting topic and one that is near and dear to my heart, I thrive for the best performing network I can have. "Mesh" has its place. Why are you only looking at Netgear? Nothing wrong with them and there Orbi product is top notch and was the one to beat according to reviews last I check. Have a look at Synology RT2600ac router found here, They also have MR2200ac found here. The MR220ac can be teamed up with the RT2600ac to create a "Mesh" network or 'stand a lone' It has a lot to offer and work great and has great reviews.

I am a Synology fan boy and for good reason.

1) They have one of the nicest user interfaces.

2) they have a package center to enhance the functionality found here

3) they are always updating the OS and pushing security updates.

4) It just works.

5) Safe Access.

6) Reports

7) You can setup user profiles, By device or by user.

8 The list is just some of what you can do, There is plenty more.

If you have any questions let me know.

I favor NETGEAR due to familiarity. However, I've looked up that Synology router at Best Buy. Doesn't look like they have. I'd very much like to get it today, or tomorrow at the latest, due to the 3 day holiday. I have very limited time, normally, on weekends, so a 3 day holiday weekend is ideal for working on this. And Best Buy is my choice because I live in New Mexico. You know those wonderful places I hear you guys talking about, like Fry's Electronics? Yeah, if you any anyone here in NM where a Fry's is, they'll look at you with a puzzled look and ask, "Say what?".

Let me ask you, does the web interface to that Synology router allow me to turn off all, or at least most, of the blinking lights?

Dave

You can control the LED's on the system in the web interface. It's nice to have this much fine control of them.

Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 2.55.36 PM.png

Synology RT2600ac – 4x4 Dual-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi Router, MU-MIMO, Powerful Parental Controls, Threat Prevention, Bandwidth Management, VPN, Expandable Coverage with mesh Wi-Fi

https://amzn.to/2RXT1dY

The Synology has a nice mobile app but the Netgear does as well.  It's not as finely tuned as say, the Eero app, but it gives you information you need on the go or in the armchair.  I have not checked on the Orbi app in a while but they were catching up with features slowly but surely.

If you are in a time crunch, go to Best Buy and pick up the Netgear system.  If you don't like it you can take it back next weekend.  You will at least have tomorrow to mess around with it.