RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What is the ideal memory/cpu for WHS V1

edamiga1

I posted a moment ago about my WHS V1 virtualiation effort and now I want to see how to get the best performance. It still seems slow even though I have given it 3 cpus of a i5 and 2GB of memory. What is the ideal size for a VM of WHS V1?

I have about 8tb of files with my movies running on it. It just takes forever to boot up, minutes, and opening the console remotely takes a long time too. What can I do to make it run faster?

It may be My Movies. My virtual WHS has only 1 CPU and only 1gig of ram and runs pretty quick, but I don't have any addons loaded yet.

I do have another virtual machine running (Win7 Pro 32bit) My Movies as well as Tivo Desktop and Playon and it runs just fine also. While it has the same amount of ram, I did give it two CPU's.

Guest no-control

1 CPU on an i3 and 1gb RAM for mine runs like a champ. Giving it more RAM doesn't help much add cores helps with transcoding/encoding. WHS is slow to boot no matter what hardware you're running. The console issue is also a widely documented issue with no real rhyme or reason to it. Usually poor performance is due to too many add-ons or heavy add-ons. MM killed my EX470. I didn't know it until I did a fresh install and realized it ran much faster with only 2 really light add-ons.