RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Prelude to Cord Cutting? Unboxing My Mohu Glide HDTV Indoor Antenna

Joe_Miner

I unboxed my Mohu Leaf Glide HDTV indoor antenna with a possible range up to 65 miles.  It may be possible for me to receive up to 30 channels in my area.  I first attached it to my HDTV in the basement and was able to receive 6 channels – which seemed pretty good given the below ground level location.  Later I tried it with my 1st floor HDTV and received 7 channels. At a future date I plan to set it up in my 2nd floor attic to check the channel reception at that higher elevation attached to a Silicon Dust HD Homerun. I need to figure out how to get power and an internet connection to my attic.

AS-Built:

Mohu Leaf Glide HDTV Antenna, Indoor, Amplified, 65 Mile Range, Paper-thin, Reversible, Paintable, 4K-ready, with 16 foot detachable cable

WP_20190114_19_38_36_Pro.jpg

WP_20190114_19_38_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20190114_19_39_24_Pro.jpg

WP_20190114_20_35_33_Pro.jpg

Dave

Nice John.  Welcome to the Cord Cutters Club! 

Can you not put the leaf up in the attic and run a coax down to where ever you will put the HD HomeRun? I personally have a large antenna in my attic and nothing but a coax running to my basement. If it needs power for an amp it usually it has a power injector that goes on the coax where ever is closer to a power outlet.  It's better to be closer to the antenna but it will still work on the complete other end of it.

I get the same amount of channels no matter if I have an amplifier on it or not. The coax doesn't have that much loss to it on short runs from floor to floor.  Just an idea.

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

My preference would be to run a Coax to the basement and tie into everything down there -- still trying to figure things out and take my time -- my objective is to be ready to switch within 11 months when Spectrum jumps my rates .....  Gives me time to experiment 

I think i should get a lot more channels with the antenna in the attic because of the height and its above the AL siding so outside the Faraday cage.

Dave

Did the house not have a run to the attic?  Most do.

Yes, you should get way more channels.  I would test with a TV and the antenna on a window if you can.  

Also, use a locator.  Do you know where the broadcast towers are?  https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html

When I was in Wisconsin I could get 20+ at over 46 miles.  Antenna was a beast and outdoors but it's still possible.

Al_Borges

One thing to watch out for in setting up an TV antenna these days

the flat antennas like the mohu described above are fine in most cases  but are not optimum for VHF signals

TV broadcast signals  are sent in three bands  -  VHF  Low  ( rarely used),   VHF High and UHF.

VHF is for broadcast signals 1-13  and UHF is for channels  14  and above.   Keep in mind that the station number is not the same as the channel the station is broadcasting on.    I was interested in getting "TV 18" that actually broadcasts on channel 11. 

I had trouble picking up a VHF station only 12 miles away with a Mohu -  even mounted  20' above ground on my 2nd floor.   

I solved the problem with an VHF add on antenna from antenna's direct  

https://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct-VHF-1-VHF-Retrofit/dp/B00LHFRCMG

check antenna web or TV fool for a station listing in your area -  if a station you want is in the VHF Band and you arent getting good,consistent results with your existing setup   either get an antenna that specifically supports VHF ( will have two or more straight 15" elements) or get the add on kit as described above.