RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

How wide of an area to capture with security cameras?

Dave

Take a look at this video captured with a Reolink camera?  I've seen other folks cameras focused solely on the driveway or the car and this makes me rethink the strategy of capturing more area.

nrf

enough detail there to identify the JDs?

Dave

It's a good question.  Probably a chance due to these things having good resolution but it is still far off.

May not even matter since the camera technically doesn't show the perps throwing anything. 

nrf

you can see one pick up the stone seconds before it flies

Trig0r

Not sure where the law lies over your side of the pond but the face has to cover a stupidly large area of the image to be used to ID people here in the UK..

You could also argue that its an accident and they didnt know what they had done, given you see him wind up to throw the rock, but in the other direction, so he throws it, it hits a tree and comes back and hits the car..

Dave

I watched it again and it's not a rock.  I thought it was at first. They walk by and pick up a bottle. Dude tries to break the bottle and fails. He then tries to bust it again but instead of hitting the wall and shattering all over it hits the top of the wall and then makes its way to the car.

Hopefully you could ID the kid and ask around but yeah, probably going to be hard to offer that one to the cops. Cops may be able to ask the kids if that's what happened.  Might work and get the kid to admit it.  Kid could always say he didn't throw it the second time because you can't technically see him do it, but he doesn't know that.

oj88

You really have to strike a balance between coverage and detail, unfortunately. This becomes ever more true as the subject moves further away from the camera. The inverse is true... a camera that has a narrow field of view would capture more detail, but will likely miss subjects that are too near or too far on the side.

One way to work around this limitation is to have multiple cameras. It all depends on how much coverage you want and how much money you're willing to spend.

I have Wyze cameras and love them. But they don't have weather-proof cameras, yet, so I still have a mix of legacy analog cams outside and Wyze cams inside.

nrf

a thorny topic - guessing in advance what might happen and how to cover it. easy to learn later you missed something.

sometimes you get it right though... (that odd creature is a young emu). neighbor turkey throws bottle and hits actual turkey. toss.jpg.5f5210b3186d3a26d6b066cdb378a552.jpg

Edited by nrf