RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

MS Gen10 non-ECC memory

schoondoggy

The question of using non-ECC memory in the MS Gen10 keeps coming up. I tend to respond to this question with; the system is designed for ECC UDIMM and I tested it and it did not work. Thinking back, when I tested it, it was on the beta box. So I thought I should test it again on the production box. I plugged in a single 4GB DDR4 2400 non-ECC UDIMM and it booted and Windows loaded and ran without issue. 

I have not done any indepth testing and I would not recommend using memory that is not supported, but it appears that the MS Gen10 will work with non-ECC memory.

• Like 1

nrf

thanks for sharing that. your contributions here are vast and definitely appreciated by myself and I am sure others as well. many of us really want to know how things work and what is possible with the stuff we have.

given I had actually experienced a double-bit memory error on one of my servers, I am sure I have been saved from the impact of a single-bit error or two as well. I for one really prefer to use the ECC memory where I have functionality I consider important. but that is my personal choice.

thanks!!!!!

• Like 1

Joe_Miner
On 1/19/2019 at 12:08 AM, schoondoggy said:

The question of using non-ECC memory in the MS Gen10 keeps coming up. I tend to respond to this question with; the system is designed for ECC UDIMM and I tested it and it did not work. Thinking back, when I tested it, it was on the beta box. So I thought I should test it again on the production box. I plugged in a single 4GB DDR4 2400 non-ECC UDIMM and it booted and Windows loaded and ran without issue. 

I have not done any indepth testing and I would not recommend using memory that is not supported, but it appears that the MS Gen10 will work with non-ECC memory.

I sure didn't expect that outcome -- great bit of testing there!