RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

MS Gen10 non-ECC memory

schoondoggy

The question of using non-ECC memory in the MS Gen10 keeps coming up. I tend to respond to this question with; the system is designed for ECC UDIMM and I tested it and it did not work. Thinking back, when I tested it, it was on the beta box. So I thought I should test it again on the production box. I plugged in a single 4GB DDR4 2400 non-ECC UDIMM and it booted and Windows loaded and ran without issue. 

I have not done any indepth testing and I would not recommend using memory that is not supported, but it appears that the MS Gen10 will work with non-ECC memory.

• Like 1

nrf

thanks for sharing that. your contributions here are vast and definitely appreciated by myself and I am sure others as well. many of us really want to know how things work and what is possible with the stuff we have.

given I had actually experienced a double-bit memory error on one of my servers, I am sure I have been saved from the impact of a single-bit error or two as well. I for one really prefer to use the ECC memory where I have functionality I consider important. but that is my personal choice.

thanks!!!!!

• Like 1

Joe_Miner
On 1/19/2019 at 12:08 AM, schoondoggy said:

The question of using non-ECC memory in the MS Gen10 keeps coming up. I tend to respond to this question with; the system is designed for ECC UDIMM and I tested it and it did not work. Thinking back, when I tested it, it was on the beta box. So I thought I should test it again on the production box. I plugged in a single 4GB DDR4 2400 non-ECC UDIMM and it booted and Windows loaded and ran without issue. 

I have not done any indepth testing and I would not recommend using memory that is not supported, but it appears that the MS Gen10 will work with non-ECC memory.

I sure didn't expect that outcome -- great bit of testing there!

Scepticalist

Useful info for the future. Could it be they opened it up in oine of the BIOS releases, so it;s more about the BIOS than the hardware version?

Right now there's negligible price difference between the two, but at some point I'll grab 32GB for my Gen10.

Just wish it was compatible with ECC registered DIMM as that would be a free upgrade when my company start decommissioning servers with DDR4 in them....