RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
gilbertwong

SAS HDD and RAID card question

gilbertwong

Hi Guys,

new to the forum, have been searching the forum as I am picking up my Gen8 micro server tomorrow. I guess I just want to double confirm before i buy all the extra parts

1. The stock Gen8 MS can install SAS HDD as I see the SAS connector is different than the SATA connector

2. The SAS HDD I have are all 2.5 inch.  Can i know if anyone has experience using the attached photo bracket to fit in the Gen8 MS

3. After reading the forum, I believe that the stock Gen8 MS B120i raid does not support SAS drives.  Anyone can recommend a raid card that is economical and work well with SAS drive

Thanks

Gilbert

O1CN011Lu0JEy7scZJur9_!!3907811358.jpg

schoondoggy

The B120i does not support SAS. What OS are you going to use? What RAID configuration are you looking at using? I have not used that bracket and it is hard to tell from the picture, but it does not look like it would align the drive properly.

schoondoggy

What size/thickness are your SAS drives, 7mm-9.5mm-12.5mm-15mm?

gilbertwong

Hi Schoondoggy, 

I am planning to run Raid 1 and the 4 SAS disk in the front bay and planning to install the Windows server OS on the port 5 SSD.

as for the SAS drive, they are off my CIsco UCS blade, its seagate st1800mm0008, 15mm is the thickness

schoondoggy
ullbeking

@schoondoggy I'm a little bit confused...

I'm new to the MicroServer Gen. 8, and stil trying to understand the basics.  Earlier in this thread it seemed that the Gen. 8 doesn't support SAS drives at all, but then it seems that you're saying it does..?  I also have various SAS drives (2.5" and 3.5") that I would like to use, but I'm not sure what I would need to make that happen.

schoondoggy
[mention=3464]schoondoggy[/mention] I'm a little bit confused...

I'm new to the MicroServer Gen. 8, and stil trying to understand the basics.  Earlier in this thread it seemed that the Gen. 8 doesn't support SAS drives at all, but then it seems that you're saying it does..?  I also have various SAS drives (2.5" and 3.5") that I would like to use, but I'm not sure what I would need to make that happen.
The connection on a SAS drive is different than SATA. The connectors in the drive bays of a MS Gen8 are capable of accepting either SATA or SAS drives. The B120i controller is SATA. If you want to use SAS drives in a MS Gen8 you need to add a SAS RAID card or HBA.
Hi Schoondoggy, 

I am planning to run Raid 1 and the 4 SAS disk in the front bay and planning to install the Windows server OS on the port 5 SSD.

as for the SAS drive, they are off my CIsco UCS blade, its seagate st1800mm0008, 15mm is the thickness

For RAID cards I would look at HPE P222 or P420.
  • Like 1

ullbeking
1 hour ago, schoondoggy said:

The connection on a SAS drive is different than SATA. The connectors in the drive bays of a MS Gen8 are capable of accepting either SATA or SAS drives. The B120i controller is SATA. If you want to use SAS drives in a MS Gen8 you need to add a SAS RAID card or HBA.For RAID cards I would look at HPE P222 or P420.

@schoondoggy Ah, yes of couse that makes sense.  It's all about the controller.  So the SATA/SAS connector from each drive bay connect to the same common HBA.  I would prefer a pure HBA rather than hardware RAID.  My RAID will be done in software in the filesystem/volume management layer (e.g., LVM, Btrfs, ZFS, etc).  Do you have any recommendations for HBA cards?  I'll be running LInux so it will need to be compatible, preferably with open source drivers.