RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Getting Sound on Win7 VM on Hyper-V

whsdude

I'm running Win2008/Hyper-V with a WHS and Win7 VM. So far I really like it. So much so, that I'm considering making the Win7 VM my main workstation and migrating away from my trusty XP pro box. In full-screen mode, with a monitor hooked up, it doesn't "feel" like I'm running inside a VM. That is until I tried to get sound working. It seems the host doesn't make its sound device available to the VMs. That's a real bummer. Has anyone found a hack or a trick to get sound working on VM?

Rob

The only way you are likely to get that to work is to use a USB sound card and use a Virtual solution that allows USB passthrough. Also, don't forget that most VM's don't have hardware acceleration for any type of video.

While i love creating virtual machines, I always my workstation to be a real computer and not a remote desktop into a virtual one. Things like the sound issue you are having is one reason.

Guest no-control

I would advise not using a VM for a primary workstation.VMs have very specific requirements and are geared towards Server type installations. A w/s environment requires requires more than Hyper-V is capable of Audio and Video acceleration being some of the more obvious ones.

I would advise not using a VM for a primary workstation.VMs have very specific requirements and are geared towards Server type installations. A w/s environment requires requires more than Hyper-V is capable of Audio and Video acceleration being some of the more obvious ones.

Would the upcoming server 2008 R2 SP1 be of any help here? It does add (i believe) graphics acceleration of sorts.

Speaking of which, the aforementioned servicepack is available for download from here. Pre-release for OEMs and suchs, but it's RTM material.

While I would love to install the RC and gain the memory over commit, I am worried about uninstalling it later down the road when the final version comes out.

Although this site seems to have a RTM version:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Signatures-Updates/Windows-7-Service-Pack-1.shtml

Got the link from this site:

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-discussion/56605-windows-7-service-pack-1-sp1-download-available.html