RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rodf

Why are we lossing 5 GHz band?

Rodf

My NETGEAR Nighthawk router (R7000) has begun to exhibit some problems. We had to move it last Sunday. Since then several members of my family have said that they're having problems accessing the 5 GHz band of the Nighthawk. (It's a 2 band wireless router, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.) Twice, since moving it, the 5 GHz band has just gone away. Tonight was the second time. And the weird thing is that the light on the Nighthawk for the 5 GHz band is happily blinking away, indicating that it is broadcasting at the 5 GHz band. But 2 laptops and 4 phones which connect to the 5 GHz band, as well as our Roku, all could not connect to the Nighthawk's 5 GHz band. And all of those devices are in the same room as the router - nothing standing in between them and the router.

I could see that the problem might be a device, if it was just one device. But all 6 devices, in the same room (and not really a large room), all at the same time having the same problem with the 5 GHz band? Nah, that can't be coincidence.

Of course I rebooted the router and the 5 GHz band has come back up. But since this is the second time in a week, I really think it likely that it's going to go out on us again at any moment. So, what could have caused this and what, if anything, can I do about it?

cskenney

Only start s happening after you moved it? Can you move it back and see if problem is still happening?

Routers can fail over time.  This one may

have an intermittent problem.  It may need to be replaced. 

schoondoggy

Are you running the latest firmware on the router?

Rodf
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:52 AM, cskenney said:

Only start s happening after you moved it? Can you move it back and see if problem is still happening?

Routers can fail over time.  This one may

have an intermittent problem.  It may need to be replaced. 

No, unfortunately I cannot move it back to where it was. However, it previously was on the floor. Now its on an old desk, but basically in the same location it was before, just higher up.

Yeah, I'm thinking I might need to get a new one as well.

16 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Are you running the latest firmware on the router?

Yes.

ShadowPeo

If its external antenna have you checked that the antenna are still screwed in tightly. if they are not that could cause issues it may also cause the radio transmitter to burn out

oj88

How's the ventilation?  I know these routers tend to get hot and floors are usually the coolest part of the room.

There are a couple of possible solutions here that might help: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-randomly-looses-connection/td-p/417968

It could be overheating or the airtime fairness setting.

Edited by oj88

Rodf
18 hours ago, ShadowPeo said:

If its external antenna have you checked that the antenna are still screwed in tightly. if they are not that could cause issues it may also cause the radio transmitter to burn out

I did. They're all solid. Thank you!

16 hours ago, oj88 said:

How's the ventilation?  I know these routers tend to get hot and floors are usually the coolest part of the room.

There are a couple of possible solutions here that might help: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-randomly-looses-connection/td-p/417968

It could be overheating or the airtime fairness setting.

Where it is now it has plenty of ventilation. Thank you!