RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
catherinecb

Firmware updates

catherinecb

Hi, I'm new to the forum and also the Gen 8 Server. I've updated the Ilo and was wondering what other updates I should do ( no warranty or service plan) I've included a screenshot of my system.

Thanks

Catherine

Screenshot 2019-01-16 20.17.20.png

• Like 1

ullbeking

Me too!!  I think that the firmware updates are within the appropriate SPP.  I am trying to determine what the latest SPP is so I can install it on my two Gen. 8's.  The issue is that you have to be registered for something, or login to somewhwere, to be able to downloaded the SPP.  This is where I get stuck... I bought both of my Gen. 8's second hand and I don't know how or where to get the required logins.

Also, my understanding is that updating firmware (via SPP) is completely independent of using an iLO key to unlock the iLO Advanced features.

If you hear anything about these or get some answers, please let me know too!!  I'm finding this all very complicated.  Thank you!

Edited by ullbeking
Minor clarifications to ease comprehension
  • Like 1

catherinecb

Luckily my second-hand server came with advance Ilo and windows server 2016 installed. I managed to download and update the Ilo. As you say some updates require a valid HPE support plan so I suppose all that can be done is to update the items that don't need entitlement. It seems strange that a company charges for the latest updates but they obviously want to keep users tied to HP.

So far I've not had any problems with drivers.

likewise, if you hear any news i"d appreciate being informed :)

• Like 1

schoondoggy

To be eligible to download BIOS, your server needs to be in warranty or it needs to be on a service contract. SPP includes BIOS so it is in the same category. With the exception of the BIOS you can download everything that would come in the SPP. 

I believe there was a version of the BIOS for the MS Gen8 that could be downloaded without warranty/service as it dealt with Spectre and meltdown.

• Like 1

catherinecb

Thank you Schoondoggy, I shall have a look on the HPE site and try to find it.

catherinecb

I found this update for the Gen 8 Rom. I've downloaded it but not installed yet, maybe someone could confirm if its ok to install, Im running windows server 2016 and my current rom firmware is J06 11/02/2015

This is the download link

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5390291&swItemId=MTX_c9a347de9ded465088b735c472&swEnvOid=4184

canuckcam

This is the latest SPP to download. The service packs no longer contain Gen8 updates, so HP releases these "post-production service packs." Funnily enough the 8.1 pack freezes on analyzing system when it runs on both my Microserver Gen8 and DL360p Gen8. So I've manually updated in Windows.
http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/products/service_pack/spp/index.aspx?version=Gen8.1

Use this link, click on the appropriate OS you have and then sort by date.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home/driverHome?sp4ts.oid=5390291

My own notes have my server at the following, running Windows Server 2019 Standard. I don't have any "entitlement" but I've been able to download all these updates.

Firmware:

• BIOS: J06 (May 21, 2018)

• iLo: v2.61 (July 27, 2018)

• Intelligent Provisioning: v1.64.0.0 (March 2, 2017)

• RAID Controller HP B120i: v3.54.0

• RAID Controller HP P222: v8.32c (Nov 27, 2018)

• SATA Controller: v0.84

Drivers:

• Matrox G200eH Video: v9.15.218 (Nov 27, 2018)

• SAS/SATA Event Notification Service: v.6.46.0.64 (Oct 24, 2016)

• iLO4 Channel Interface Driver: v3.31.0.0 (Jun 26, 2018)

Edited by canuckcam
  • Like 2