RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

p222 smart array card and connector b120i

pksparks

i have installed a hp smart array p222 card with 512 mb cache. external enclosure attached, working.

now i attached the internal connector from the hdd bay of the gen8 to the internal port of the hp p222, but then the gen 8 starts very slow, and does not recognize any p222 anymore.

any suggestions??

rgds

Patrick

And in addition to my question, i had an p212 installed with external cable. This worked fine under server 2016E. Now changed to P222, same configuration, still ok, arrays were smoothly recognized. Only when i take the internal connector int the P222 it fails. Take it out and it works. On the P212 i have used another internal cable, to connect another hdd, and that worked fine. But before taking the whole gen8 apart, i think it is better to ask to people who have maybe done the same.

Firmware and drivers are up to date for P222.

again, many thanks ahead

Patrick

Hi Schoondoggy,

what i experience, is that the p222 is recognized in windows and ilo4. Even external drives are recognized. Connecting an spare internal cable to the p222 connector (without any drives yet) is also no problem.

only when i take out internal connector and connect it to ths p222, the p222 is not recognized, or that is, in windows it is marked with an !. The problem is that if that cable is connected to it’s own connector on the motherboard, all is working ok.

i updated all the drivers, and firmware, and bios allready. But starting to think to replace cabling is the solution. Will test it tomorrow with an external disk connected to thi internal connector of the p222.

When you move the cable from the server board to the P222, make sure it clicks into place. How did you have the internal drives configured on the B120i? If you run SSA from Windows can you see the internal drives in the configuration pages?

thanks Schoondoggy for your tips and thinking.

i restored the connector for the internal drives back to the motherboard.

connected the external box again to the p222, and also installed an other cable directly to the internal port of the p222 (mini sas to 4 sata octopus cable, like Original onboard the gen8).

all booting perfectly, got arrays on the b120i (1x raid 1 and 2x raid o, plus the ssd from the motherboard sata connector) and also on the p222 i got the 1 disk on the nr 1 sata connector of the octopus cable (raid 0) and also arryas on my external box.

so it is only not working when i switch the internal cable to the internal port of the p222. but as it looks, that cable is ok, the connector is ok. the only thing that is left, is that it is not correctly inserted. for today i leave it running, as also the battery for the cache is charging, and for now i got the warning that the cache is disabled permanently. any ideas how to work around that??

as soon as i have some more time, i will try again. on the other hand the 2 disks that are only upgrading in speed are port 3 and 4 of the internal bay, and i guess i can change my boot ssd to the internal port of the p222 to increase speed.

thanks and i will keep you informed.

Patrick