RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
lionelhutz

RAM issue

lionelhutz

I have what appears to be a RAM issue that is somewhat similar to this one: https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/16188-gen8-ram-issues-help/?page=1

About two weeks ago, I upgraded my Gen8 to a Xeon e3-1265L v2. I have 2 x 8GB RAM modules, both Kingston KVR16E11/8I. They are a few years old and always worked fine before (and indeed for the last two weeks with the Xeon). 

All was fine with the Xeon upgrade until today, when during a reboot, I get stuck at 90% system initialization with status code 0114. 

I tried various combinations of RAM and concluded that booting works fine with either RAM module in slot 1 (nearer the CPU heatsink) but not with both. 

So for the moment I have my system running with 8GB, which slightly defeats the point of upgrading to Xeon!

When this issue first occurred my System ROM was 06/06/2014, so as discussed in the thread linked above I upgraded it to 05/21/2018. I was hoping this would fix the issue, no such luck.

A visual inspection of the RAM slot doesn't show any physical damage or connection issue.

The linked thread advises to go back to the Celeron before upgrading the System ROM. I didn't do that, as I could still get to the boot menu with one stick of RAM. Is that necessary?

Any ideas what else might be causing this?

I guess the next step is to go back to the Celeron and see if that fixes the issue, try to narrow down whether the CPU is at fault. 

schoondoggy
16 hours ago, lionelhutz said:

I have what appears to be a RAM issue that is somewhat similar to this one: https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/16188-gen8-ram-issues-help/?page=1

About two weeks ago, I upgraded my Gen8 to a Xeon e3-1265L v2. I have 2 x 8GB RAM modules, both Kingston KVR16E11/8I. They are a few years old and always worked fine before (and indeed for the last two weeks with the Xeon). 

All was fine with the Xeon upgrade until today, when during a reboot, I get stuck at 90% system initialization with status code 0114. 

I tried various combinations of RAM and concluded that booting works fine with either RAM module in slot 1 (nearer the CPU heatsink) but not with both. 

So for the moment I have my system running with 8GB, which slightly defeats the point of upgrading to Xeon!

When this issue first occurred my System ROM was 06/06/2014, so as discussed in the thread linked above I upgraded it to 05/21/2018. I was hoping this would fix the issue, no such luck.

A visual inspection of the RAM slot doesn't show any physical damage or connection issue.

The linked thread advises to go back to the Celeron before upgrading the System ROM. I didn't do that, as I could still get to the boot menu with one stick of RAM. Is that necessary?

Any ideas what else might be causing this?

I guess the next step is to go back to the Celeron and see if that fixes the issue, try to narrow down whether the CPU is at fault. 

Your troubleshooting tells us that both modules appear to be OK. There could be something wrong with the second DIMM socket or the problem could be the CPU or the CPU socket. The memory controller in the CPU may have gone bad or there may be an issue with the socket, debris or bent pins. I would pull the CPU and see if there is any issue with the XEON or the socket. If there appears to be no damage or debris, I would try the Celeron to see if the issue goes away.

lionelhutz

Ok, it seems I have a fix, although whether it is permanent or temporary remains to be seen.

First, I tried booting with one stick only, but this time in slot 2. It worked. So there's no problem with either stick of RAM or either slot individually.

I was all set to put the Celeron back in, but before I went to that trouble, I thought I'd give 2 sticks of RAM one last try, and it worked.

So maybe it was the System ROM, maybe it was a bit of dust, maybe the RAM wasn't seated correctly. I will see how long it works for and if the issue recurs, I'll pull the CPU...

Edited by lionelhutz
  • Like 1