RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SATA Pass through for proxmox

bar1

Hi, 

i am trying to install freenas as a VM on proxmox and 1 of the requirement is that i do a PCI passthough for the sata controller....

i am just trying to understand how many sata controllers does the HP microserver gen 8 actually have?

i need to passthrough 2 drives.

If I remember correctly all of the SATA ports in the Gen8 are on the same controller. You would need to add a controller to the server to have one available to pass through.

00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 4 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 2 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 05)

When the five SATA ports are setup as the B120i they are treated as one controller. If you want to run them as AHCI they may show up as two controllers one port and four ports. I am not sure how well passthrough works on AHCI.

• 3 weeks later...

I still need help with this....

00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 4 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 05)

I assume this one is the 4 ports hard disk bay?

00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 2 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 05)

and i assume this one if the cd rom port on the top?

where is the 6th port?

It doesn't matter which port i choose, the system immediately freeze when i do sata passthough :-(

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2019 at 11:13 AM, bar1 said:

I still need help with this....

I assume this one is the 4 ports hard disk bay?

and i assume this one if the cd rom port on the top?

where is the 6th port?

It doesn't matter which port i choose, the system immediately freeze when i do sata passthough 😞

was a solution ever found for this?