RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

The Intel processor line up????

tbowland

!. Is this the way it goes with Intel processing power?

I'm trying to get it straight in my head because I need to get my wife a new laptop.

I'm really tired of her PC not being quit fast enough.

2. As well as the processor, tell me if I'm wrong, I need to be aware of Ram and video memory and there relation when you have built in graphics.

3. To those with experience are there processor families that run a little hot for laptops and therefore will have a noisy fan?

Atom

Celeron

Pentium Dual Core

Core 2 Solo

Core 2 Duo

Core 2 Extreme

Core 2 Quad

Core i3

Core i5

Core i7

Thanks in advance

Ted

!. Is this the way it goes with Intel processing power?

I'm trying to get it straight in my head because I need to get my wife a new laptop.

I'm really tired of her PC not being quit fast enough.

2. As well as the processor, tell me if I'm wrong, I need to be aware of Ram and video memory and there relation when you have built in graphics.

3. To those with experience are there processor families that run a little hot for laptops and therefore will have a noisy fan?

Atom

Celeron

Pentium Dual Core

Core 2 Solo

Core 2 Duo

Core 2 Extreme

Core 2 Quad

Core i3

Core i5

Core i7

Thanks in advance

Ted

Pretty close. Couple of corrections. The extreme is "usually" a quad so it would go after the "quad". One last point, I had a chance to run the new core I3 (sandy bridge) laptops and I would definetely go with one of those. First time I saw games playable on a laptop without a descrete card. Nice units.

.......I had a chance to run the new core I3 (sandy bridge) laptops and I would definetely go with one of those. First time I saw games playable on a laptop without a descrete card. Nice units.

So how would you know it is a "Sandy Bridge" Core i3. Are the others phased out right away.

Ted

So how would you know it is a "Sandy Bridge" Core i3. Are the others phased out right away.

Ted

they have a four digit model number after the "core i" part. Previous generation is a three digit model number.

fbrito is correct. The second gen (Sandy Bridge) is a four digit processor, and gen 1 (Clarkdale/Lynnfield) have a three digit number such as 530