RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ullbeking

Unsure of relationship between license key, SPP, and iLO

ullbeking

Hello all,

I have a couple of HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 machines, which I am now setting up for personal use.  I'm trying to upgrade the firmware to the latest version and unlock the iLO Advanced features.

I have a copy of SPP 2018.06.0, which I understand is not the latest.  I don't know what the latest SPP that is compatible is.

This is my first time with HPE hardware and it's been frustrating so far.  I have difficulty understanding their online documentation and I think it is confusing.  I haven't installed any OS yet.  I want to get my firmware and out-of-band management sorted out first.

Could somebody please tell me:

• What is the latest SPP that is compatible with this machine?
  • Where can I get this SPP from?
  • Would I use the license keys discussed in the other thread on this forum to activate iLO Advanced from the latest SPP?

Thank you for your patience and help!

Kind regards,

ubk

canuckcam

The latest Post-Production SPP is 8.1 here:

http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/products/service_pack/spp/index.aspx?version=Gen8.1

But I've never been able to get it to run via DVD or bootable USB - it froze during the "analyzing system" part for automatic and interactive (manual) updates on both the Microserver Gen8 and a DL360 Gen8 but you may have better luck. Ended up just installing WIndows and manually downloading the firmware for each component here: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home/driverHome?pmasr=0&sp4ts.oid=5390291

Latest iLo firmware is 2.61b. And yes, the license keys persist with firmware upgrades.

• Like 1

ullbeking
15 minutes ago, canuckcam said:

Thank you for the direct link.  I personally find the HPE pages unusable.  To download the ISO, I am asked me to log in, to authenticate myself as a validated, supported user.

I looked briefly at how I can achieve this supported status, but I can't tell whether all I need is to register an account and submit some serial numbers of my MicroServer Gen8's, or if I actually need to purchase a support contract.  What is your interpretation?

But I've never been able to get it to run via DVD or bootable USB - it froze during the "analyzing system" part for automatic and interactive (manual) updates on both the Microserver Gen8 and a DL360 Gen8 but you may have better luck. Ended up just installing WIndows and manually downloading the firmware for each component here: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home/driverHome?pmasr=0&sp4ts.oid=5390291

OK, this is actually seriously useful information to know.  The guy who I bought the Gen8 from said something very similar, but not as clearly as you just did.  It's times like this it's useful to have a working Windows installation to get unblocked.

Latest iLo firmware is 2.61b. And yes, the license keys persist with firmware upgrades.

OK!  Thank you!!!