RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Still Using WHS 2011?

Joe_Miner

Still going great !! I just use the Windows Defender but am open to better suggestions.

Edited by TomP
spelling mistake
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'm still rocking my WHS 2011. Getting regular updates. No signs of malware infestations.

Had to perform 2 different system restores in the last year due to SSD failures. Restore process is difficult on my win 10 pc's due to reboot to USB issues. I have had to resort to using an older pc to perform this function, using an external drive as my destination.

Still in love with my WHS 2011 using DriveBender. 24T of storage with mirroring on my Lenovo TS140. This system just works!

• 2 weeks later...

So if I want to setup an old Acer Revocenter (RC111) Home Server running WHS 2011 - but only as an "internal" (in-house use) backup server.  Can I simply block ALL incoming connections in the firewall to lock it down from any external sources finding their way into the server? 

I've not messed around with Windows Firewall much in the past other than those standard popups that ask if I want to let a program have access.  My concern is the lack of security updates...pretty sure those are a done deal for WHS 2011 at this point.  So theoretically, there's nothing to update in Windows Update moving forward for WHS 2011?

And if blocking ALL connections is the way to protect the Home Server - any other specifics I need to know/do?  And/or are there other additional ways to do this/enhance this?  

Basically I'd have this WHS box acting as a backup target for the critical stuff on my main server.  I also have several friends still rocking the same RC111 RevoCenter servers that aren't interested in upgrading the hardware - so if I can lock their servers down to keep their home network's safe - that would be good.

Like I said, not a very knowledgeable firewall guy and have been googling how to lock a PC down - but haven't come across many articles specific to this need.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Guess these forums are pretty much a ghost town these days?  Just some of us relics from the past hanging out...LOL

8 hours ago, Puulima said:

Guess these forums are pretty much a ghost town these days?  Just some of us relics from the past hanging out...LOL

to be fair, most of us have moved on from WHS2011  many years ago -  so its sort of a dead topic around here

I think if you know what you are doing and set it up well -  you could still use WHS as an internal server safely

This is more of  a question on your network/router setup and making sure that the WHS2011 box is truly protected from the dark side of the web

going forward,   have you considered switching over to an alternative like FreeNas or openmediavault ?  both are free and kept reasonably up to date.   there is also a lot of love on this forum for the unraid server , which does cost a small amount for home use

On 7/19/2021 at 9:34 PM, Al_Borges said:

to be fair, most of us have moved on from WHS2011  many years ago -  so its sort of a dead topic around here

I think if you know what you are doing and set it up well -  you could still use WHS as an internal server safely

This is more of  a question on your network/router setup and making sure that the WHS2011 box is truly protected from the dark side of the web

going forward,   have you considered switching over to an alternative like FreeNas or openmediavault ?  both are free and kept reasonably up to date.   there is also a lot of love on this forum for the unraid server , which does cost a small amount for home use

Yeah, I gave up on using WHS 2011 on the old RevoCenter. I don't know enough about networking to lock 'er down tight.  I'm going to add another external box with 4 drives to my N40L which is running Windows 10 and do the backups there.  Putting the RevoCenter (new other than installing 10 years of Windows Updates) on eBay/Kijiji/FB Marketplace.

I'll take a look at FreeNas and OpenMediaVault - but assuming they are more of a NAS solution only?  I currently have DrivePool & Scanner setup on N40L. Really liking how that's working.