RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

HPE Smart Array P430 and P440 controllers

schoondoggy

Random thoughts on some of the Smart Array controllers.

Used P430 and P440 controllers have dropped into the $100-$135 range. These controllers also appear to work well in HPE UEFI based systems. For HPE servers with backplanes with female SFF-8087 connections, cabling options are fairly easy to come by. I have been playing with a P430 in the MicroServer Gen8 and Gen10. I had a female to female SFF-8087 connector to make the cabling work, but they are expensive $60. The P440 is a good choice for the ML30 Gen9 as the server board supports the battery connection. I will share pictures as soon as the forum will let me upload.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Charlyfox

Hi, I was wondering if you tried the P430 and P440 on your ml30 gen 9, and also if it worked with your WD 5 Tb drives. I wanted to buy the same parts for my ml30 gen 9.

Regards...

schoondoggy

I do not have a ML30, I worked with the cards on Nicroservers G8 and G10.

Either should work in the ML30. You will have to pick the correct cabling to connect the P440 or P430 to your backplanes. 

The P440 can use the optional storage battery on the ML30, page 48:

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c04905980-3.pdf 

Charlyfox

Hi, thanks for the answer, which drives are you using with those raid controllers? 

schoondoggy

Four 3TB drives in the tests I ran. RAID5 and RAID10.

Charlyfox

Ok thanks, but which ones? I ask because I was wondering about compatibility if I use regular enterprise HDD at 7200 RPMs. I've read that raid controllers only accept hpe HDDs which have their firmware.

I was thinking on buying 4 of these for my ml30 gen9.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07D3YH466/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile?th=1&psc=1

I'm just worried about compatibility. 

Regards. 

schoondoggy

The 3TB drives I used were HGST. I have run SATA and SAS drives from WD, Seagate, HGST and Toshiba, on HPE RAID controllers and as far as I recall I have never had a compatibility issue. If you have a HPE server with a HPE RAID controller and you use drives that are not HPE branded, HPE support will likely not help you if you have an issue. There may be system management tools from HPE that may not work properly with drives not HPE branded. I believe there have been reports on higher end servers running non HPE branded drives that the system gives a warning that you are using unsupported drives. I have mainly worked with Microservers and ML10 servers and I have not had issues. I will do a little research on ML30 and P440 to see if there have been any issues.

What RAID are you planning to use, RAID1 or 10 or 5 or 6? What OS are you running?

schoondoggy

A little web searching on ML30 finds that some users run non-HPE drives get a warning light and message stating 'not authentic' HPE drive, others are not getting that message. It is a little tough to be certain, but it would appear AHCI is not giving the error and B140i is giving the error.

Anyone running a ML30 Gen9 that can shed some light on this? 

Found it!

I remember there was something about getting the right drive trays.

schoondoggy

For drives if you are going to use RAID 5 or 6 your drives should support TLER. For RAID 1 or 10 any drive will work.

The drive you listed above is a great drive, but for similar money you could get a 6TB WD Red.

Jacob

Hello schoondoggy, 

Did you have the opportunity to run the P440 in your Gen8 microserver? If so, did you happen to try it out in HBA mode and did it run without the battery, or is there an alternative solution for server boards without the battery connector?

I ask as in my area both the P420 and P440 are on offer for reasonable and quite similar prices. If the P440 works in the Gen8 microserver I'd be strongly inclined to purchase it rather than the older P420. 

Thank you very much in advance for your insights!

P.S.: as this is my first post here, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who contributes to this exceptional Microserver resource. It is inspiring to read and see what members have achieved with such a small device!